[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: [ SHOWGSD-L ]  Ethics in dogs...

  • From: Stormy435@xxxxxxx
  • To: Elsyd1@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 14:57:11 EDT

Knowing about "chaining behavior" which is how one trains dogs, the dog could
have acquired some behavior (unintended consequences).   The dog may forever
not want to jump in the car, learning that "go for a walk" does not mean that.
  ( However, the dog probably was so imprinted with "walk" that acquired
behavior probably would not happen).

The other possibility is that the dog has learned to escape in order to go
for a car ride...dogs have fun with car rides even when the car is being moved
from one parking place to another.

As far as not throwing the ball???   My dogs have learned very quickly to
look up to make sure I threw it, and don't move until I do.   Just another part
of the game.   Fire loves to gait big circles around me as I'm twirling the
kong on the rope over my head, then takes off like a shot when I let it go.

They are dogs.

Stormy
In a message dated 9/23/08 11:43:05 AM, Elsyd1@xxxxxxx writes:

> There was a very interesting subject today in the Seattle times, in a
> weekly
> column called "On Ethics". The writer had a dog escape from his yard, and
> the dog would not come back when called. The owner got in his car, caught
> up
> with his dog, opened the car door, and asked the dog if he wanted to go for
> walk. The eager dog (who loved going for a walk) jumped right in, and the
> owner
> took him home immediately. No walk. The owner wanted to know if he was being
> unethical for lying to the dog. The Ethicist said no, because the word
> "walk"  might have had a different meaning to the dog. He also said it is
> possible
> to  deceive a dog by pretending to throw the ball, (a particular pet peeve
> of
> mine,  which I think is unethical). What do you think about both
> scenarios?
> Syd

http://www.FairhopeGSD.com
Dogs love is different. It requires no return.

Looking for simple solutions to your real-life financial
calculators.