[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Responses

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: uwish@xxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 16:42:58 EST

In a message dated 2/13/2006 3:44:57 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
uwish@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
Then I  had those who told me of some truly
heartbreaking stories about dogs that  were discarded because they
weren't the "superstar" of the litter.  I  was told about WELL KNOWN
kennels who put animals down if they are not of  the quality they are
looking for (and I don't mean because of health or  temperament
problems).  One told me about an older puppy whose one  ear didn't come
up and the breeder told this writer, either come and take  this puppy or
I'm putting him down.  I would like to know who these  vets are that put
healthy animals to sleep because of the request of some  heartless
breeder.  She rescued this pup, and you know what within  months, the
pups ear went up.  Another told of a pup who was sent out  for training
who had a wonderful disposition and came back a shrinking,  shaking
violet.

Barbara, you're probably hearing these stories on the second or third  go
round OR the people who are doing the telling have a particular ax to  grind.
don't know anyone who snuffs out a life because a dog  (conformation wise) is
less than perfect.  I can't think of a vet who would  do it either, and I know
a whole bunch of vets, super to mediocre and they all  manage to end up w/
more than they themselves bargained for. (My house call vet  recently took in a
diabetic cat the owner <on a fixed income> could no  longer care
for.)Temperament issues, health issues that affect quality of life,  yes,
that's a
different story.  As far as a dog coming back a "shrinking,  shaking, violet" ~
easier
to say that than think perhaps the dog had issues  in the first place that
necessitated being sent out...blame the handler/trainer  I suppose; easier than
taking responsibility for a spooky-dook.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Kathy