[ SHOWGSD-L ] Responses

  • From: Barbara Galasso <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 15:39:06 -0500

Hi everyone:  Like many of you, I'm sure that some of your e- mail is
sent just to you privately when you post something on the List. Because
I write about so many different subjects, I get a lot of this type of
e-mail.  Sometimes it saddens me that some people do not share with the
List the information that they share with me because all of them have so
much to say that could be useful for others to read as well, and even if
what they say reaches and touches only one person, then IMO, that's a
job well done.  I appreciate EVERYONE who writes to me.  You are all
equal in my minds, no one being more important than anyone else.  Your
voice is heard with me and I thank you for trusting me with your
thoughts.  I may not get back to everyone right away because sometimes
my e-mails become overwhelming.  I do try to get back to everyone
personally, but sometimes when I receive a lot of e-mails, I will send
out a group letter.
I posted yesterday about culling litters.  ALL OF THE RESPONSES was
private except one.  I've asked some why don't they share what they
wrote to me with the whole List so others can perhaps learn from their
experiences.  Some told me, "oh people don't read my posts", "people
don't like my style of dog", "I haven't done anything significant enough
in the breed", etc.  Then I had those who told me of some truly
heartbreaking stories about dogs that were discarded because they
weren't the "superstar" of the litter.  I was told about WELL KNOWN
kennels who put animals down if they are not of the quality they are
looking for (and I don't mean because of health or temperament
problems).  One told me about an older puppy whose one ear didn't come
up and the breeder told this writer, either come and take this puppy or
I'm putting him down.  I would like to know who these vets are that put
healthy animals to sleep because of the request of some heartless
breeder.  She rescued this pup, and you know what within months, the
pups ear went up.  Another told of a pup who was sent out for training
who had a wonderful disposition and came back a shrinking, shaking
violet.  The puppies personality never recovered but this wonderful
person took him and gave him a loving, caring home.  I also know this
happens because a judge/breeder friend of mine had the very same thing
happen to one of her dogs.  The dog went out a friendly happy puppy and
came back a fearful, shaking fellow.  She never showed him
again..............and never put him down because of it either.

I know there are all sorts of GSD Lists out there, some for show people,
some for people who like to post pictures, some for health and genetics,
etc.  It is my wish that when the Review gets back up on it's feet
again, that they will encourage ALL GSD fanciers to read, advertise and
NEVER feel intimidated to join in this publication as a means to share
your stories, your glories, your wins and disappointments.  May we all
help those who love our breed realize their dreams and goals, whether
you love the show dog, the obedience winner, the American lines, the
German lines, or those dogs who go to the hospital to bring joy to the
sick.  Our breed is one of the most versatile in the world.  I hope that
we can all practice kindness and enjoy the versatility of this breed.

If we expect our dogs to be an ambassador of good will for the breed by
showing sound temperament then WE TOO must be ambassadors of good will
to our fellow exhibitor, breeder, student of the breed, the novice, the
newbie by showing tolerance, our knowledge and helpfulness and holding
back judgment on those who don't have the top winner or likes something
different from us.   It sickens my heart when people write and say they
are afraid to say anything on the Lists for fear of being ridiculed,
laughed at and not paid attention to.  We have enough division in the
world............not in our dogs too!?  Best wishes,  Barbara Galasso