[ SHOWGSD-L ] Report from Gonzales

  • From: RihadinK9@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 13:30:28 EDT

>A beagle breeder friend sent this from  Gonzales..
>

> Some things are no where near as bad as they  say......such as Baton Rouge
which goes about its daily routine like  nothing happened, other than those of
us among them helping with refugees.  On the other hand, Gonzales is way
worse than you can imagine. Please tell  the Beagle list that whomever said
don't
go down there was WRONG!! We need  PEOPLE, PEOPLE, and MORE PEOPLE. There are
way over a thousand dogs, plus  that many cats, and the horses, birds, ducks,
and things.

> I  spent the day hauling crates out to be hosed down, walking dogs, hosing
crates, walking dogs, and every time it was a dog sitting in its own poop  or
urine or both. Priority was making sure they all had water, no matter  what
else. They all REEK of dirty dog, poop, urine, and probably dirty  water. It is
overwhelming. And the egos are also overwhelming with  those "in charge"
which would be HSUS. Two different times I was treated  rudely and demeaned for
what I was doing. I didn't travel all that  way to be admonished for doing what
I knew needed to be done at that  time.

> Never the less, just when I was feeling down this evening,  a guy found his
two dogs and the jubilation on both sides was SOOO  heartening!! I  was
sobbing, dogs were jumping up and down, and their dad  was in tears. It was
such a
happy reunion. That is the good  stuff.

> As for BEAGLES.....only four or five times today did I  see a dog escape
it's walker or it's crate. Three were beagless, one lab,  and one mix who
wanted
OUT. And I have not seen a lot of beagles. There are  a few, mostly our
hunting kids. One guys dogs were there in a  group.....four or five. Most of
the
dogs in Gonzales are "strays" or left  in yards. No owners yet. Of the hounds I
saw, one lovely Bluetick, a very  very old Bassett, and the beagles, and
miscellaneous  others.

> I myself became attached to an old Peke lady. She was  such a
> trooper.....maybe 12 years old or older, and taking it all in. It  helps
emotionally to pick out a dog or two and keep them as your  special project in
among all the others. That dog recognizes you and you  feel like you have a
focus which will be rewarding. At least one dog  will get the best you can give.

> That's it from Gonzales,  Louisiana. If you want to send anything, send big
wire crates. That's what  we need the most. Big Chows and shepherds are
sitting in Vari-Kennels in a  very warm climate. I tried to rearrange the few I
found who were too hot,  but it's an overwhelming business. It's so much easier
to clean and care  for the dogs in wire crates.

> Tell your friends who can to  please come on down. It really isn't
> impossible, there really is gas  (and it's CHEAPER than in Missouri)
> for 2.54/gallon. The gas stations  have gas, food is available, and
> lines are not that long anywhere. Baton  Rouge is a delightful city,
> lots of pretty areas, and the campus is  lovely. I'm lucky to be able to
stay on campus at the Rec Center, with air  conditioning, air beds, and the
locker rooms at my  disposal.

> Permission to cross-post

Ginger  Cleary, Rome, GA
"Those who desire to give up freedom in  order to gain security, will not
have, nor do they deserve, either one."  Benjamin Franklin.
_http://www.rihadin.com_ (http://www.rihadin.com/)