[ SHOWGSD-L ] Reply From Compassion without Borders

  • From: Scharo777@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 22:43:29 EDT

I wrote to the people who had a web site showing homeless dogs that they  had
brought from Mexico.  Here is their reply to me.  I am sending  this along as
information and to tell both sides of the story.  Please do  not reply to me.

I certainly appreciate your frustration and outrage about the continued
euthanasia of homeless animals here in the US {America actually includes
Mexico}.
As a shelter veterinarian here in California, I work with homeless  animals
every single day and we actually do rescue dogs from overcrowded  shelters in
the valley and Monterrey/Salinas area and I have been  extensively involved in
statewide rescue for over 10 years now.

The number of dogs we bring in from Mexico is very, very small and I do  not
believe makes an impact on the overall animal front here in the U.S. What  is
does do, however, is give those of us working to alleviate harsh suffering
south of the border {through our more important programs of spay/neuter,
humane
euthanasia, and humane education} some inspiration and happy endings to  keep
us motivated and inspired, as much of the other work is so terribly
depressing and difficult to endure. And, it helps some very needy animals
along the
way. The rescue is also a great way to get folks interested in our  work in
Mexico and help to inform them about the atrocities taking place south  of the
border.

Every one of our volunteers is an active animal advocate here in the US,  as
well, and we thank you for advocating for the animals and hope you'll open
yourself up to understanding our position and sincere efforts to help all
animals.

Warmly,
-Dr.Christi Camblor, DVM