[ SHOWGSD-L ] Reflecting...

  • From: "David Fritsche" <d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "freelist" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 19:55:00 -0700

Went to work this morning and was still tired - too old for all this travel
and late hours with friends, but I would not trade it for anything.

I was reflecting on the whole scope of the nationals and the controversies
and the people and.....

We do go through a process in preparing for the nationals. We condition our
dogs and get things ready and save money and.... we dream. I drempt of our
Cassie going GVX- and I drempt of other dogs I like and in that whole
process I formed a set of expectations. They subtly and subconsciuous grew
into a reality. And I thought through the schedule and of the judges and of
what I thought was going to happen, and whither I knew it or not - that was
my reality.

That same process happend for every person attending - the problem is, all
of those people did not share my reality. They had their own that was
essentially different from mine. So we all arrive at the same site, with the
same breed and attend seperate show together, because our realities have
defined the context of what is happening and what should happen -
DIFFERENTLY!

Then, we throw into the mix one person who we decide before hand will decide
on what is the defining reality of the show: The judge. They go through
their own defining, dreaming and preparing; creating expectations, planning
what they are going to do, and letting it all come together subconsciously
and consciously as their reality. Then, they present it to us, in contrast
to what we wanted, more - what we expected and ask us to lay aside our
reality for theirs.

Life is like that! In the divergent scope of the human race, we fight wars
over such things. I cannot comprehend how or why someones reality is that I
am an infidel and need to be killed to make their world a better place. I
cannot get inside of their head and comprehend the process of developing
that reality. But it is real to them, regardless of how unrealistic and
ignorant it seem to me. Not only can't I understand it, I cannot accept it,
becasue it costs me too much to do so. I am not interested in paying the
prescribed price for them to be happy. At that level, I am willing to fight
and die or better, to fight and kill.

And so are most of us, at some level in some circumstances. The problem is,
as I see it in my reality, we are sometimes willing to kill to be right over
things that are ultimately inconsequential. In the process we create
isolation, loose friendships, hurt others while being hurt and drive people
away from us because they end up fearing our reality.

That does not mean that all diverse realities are equally right, nor that
better structuring our relationships is not needed, but it does mean that
reaching the goal of working together for the betterment of our breed may
well necessitate that we ENCOURAGE NOT DISCOURAGE as a priority above and
beyond the proving our individual reality as right!
Dave