[ SHOWGSD-L ] Recent topic

  • From: "Kathaleen Strong" <inflight2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 11:24:03 -0700

Pursuant to the discussion relating to denying membership to applicants.

I really think the club is in a pickle.  First of all, the bylaws themselves
contain issues that need correction.  How can an applicant who has received
a negative vote by the Board be presented at the next Annual meeting by one
of their endorsers if the Parent Club no longer requires endorsement of
applicants? (Section 3 b).

Further, I believe that it is wrong to give an applicant all privileges of
membership (except voting privileges), until after they have appeared in the
Review.  The way the bylaws read, unless I'm totally missing the mark, Mr.
Hunte already is a member of this club, but does not have voting privileges.

I think the bylaws committee really needs to rework this entire section,
because applicants should not be allowed any membership privileges until
their entire application has been processed to the end - which means after
their name appears in the Review.

I also became aware that aware our club is really lax in it's membership
requirements.  I went to apply for full membership in the American
Pomeranian Club (APC).  They have extremely strict policies for membership,
including the following:

NOTICE: Except for patrons, applications must be endorsed by TWO members in
good standing (a) who have been APC members for two (2) years or more; (b)
who have known the applicant two (2) years or more; (c) who do not reside in
the same household; (d) who are not related to each other or to the
applicant.

Further, the part where the sponsors must endorse the applicant, must also
give a written (essay style) reason why they are recommending the applicant
for membership.

All APC applicants, including patrons (members who have no voting rights and
can not hold office) must sign that they have read the code of ethics and
agree to abide by them upon pain of the disciplinary section of the APC's
bylaws.

~I agree to follow the regulations as set forth by the American Kennel Club
as they pertain to my purebred dog operations.
~I will furnish a signed registration or transfer with each puppy sold
unless a written agreement is made with the purchaser at the time of sale
that papers will be withheld.
~I will not sell my puppies to pet shops or commercial pet mill
establishments, nor will I donate puppies for raffles or auctions.
~I will not crossbreed or advertise for sale puppies that have been
crossbred.
~I will not give stud service to unregistered bitches.
~I will advise the purchaser of my puppy to have the puppy checked by a
veterinarian within 2 days (48 hours) of the sale (additional time allowed
if the puppy is sold on a Friday or Saturday.) I will refund the purchase
price or take the puppy back and replace it, if it is found to be unfit.
~Except for unusual situations, I will not sell my puppies at less than
eight weeks of age.
~I will maintain the best possible standard of health and care in all of my
dogs and see that puppies are immunized and checked for parasites.
~I will price my puppies within the breed range.
~In my breeding program, I will keep alert for and work to control and/or e
eradicate problems and conditions that are particular to my breed and breed
as closely as possible to the standard of the breed.
~I will represent my dogs as honestly as possible to prospective buyers and
try to assist the serious novice in his understanding of the breed.
~I will try at all times to show good sportsmanship and keep in mind that
the good of the breed comes before any personal benefit.

Now... I'm not even remotely suggesting that the GSDCA gets involved in
anything this strict - But let's face it - If membership in the Parent Club
was something to "strive" to get and not something where we are begging
people to join, we'd be in a lot better situation.

In any event -- I really think that this discussion on the list just further
points to a more serious problem that the Parent Club needs to also deal
with.  I'm not a lawyer, but it seems very risky to me to allow a sitting
Board Member/Officer of the Club to be an Administrator of any type of email
list where discussions of the club's business takes place.  Were someone
with Mr. Hunte's obvious financial and legal finesse be irritated by this
discussion (and it would be foolish for any of you to think that he has not
already been made aware of it), or others with discussions that could be
possibly considered libelous by the claimant, I doubt that the copyright or
legal statement would stop them from attaching the GSDCA to any suit that
GSD Communication, Inc. were to become involved in.

But then, I'm not a lawyer.

Kathaleen