[ SHOWGSD-L ] Reasons

  • From: Pauline Moon <ropajagsd@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2013 13:44:28 -0700 (PDT)

Taken from the GSDCA Standard:

Color
The German Shepherd Dog varies in color, and most colors are permissible.
Strong rich colors are preferred. Pale, washed-out colors and blues or livers
are serious faults. A white dog must be disqualified.
So being objective and not bringing in a personal preferences (we all have
those)  Here is a valid objective reason why a white dog is a DQ....because it
is the opposite of the statement "STRONG RICH COLORS ARE PREFERRED".  Indeed on
this same train of thought, IF the DQ is removed on the white dog; then we
should also remove this statement as well...otherwise it doesn't make any sense
from a logical standpoint...but what do I know?

I have no emotional personal issue here...In 1970, I was living in another
country; I was given a 5 week old GSD puppy by a breeder who was going to put
it down BECAUSE...it was white.. out of her B/Ts and she did not want anyone to
know about it.  That was my first GSD. One of the best companion GSDs I have
ever had, she went everywhere with me.  She was smart, healthy, great
temperament and lived to almost 14 yrs...and saved my son's life when he was
around 4-5 months old....She holds a place of honor (because she was a great
dog) among all the framed photos of all my GSDs since that time.  After I got
her I decided I would learn all I could about the breed...that is when I read
the standard and saw that her color was a DQ.  After she died, I contacted a
breeder and I purchased my first and last puppy (meaning I have never purchased
a puppy since that one time) and it was a B/T.  I decided that if I were going
to get involved with the GSD breed
 then I wanted my next GSD to at least not have a DQ color; which is probably
one of the few things that you have control over when choosing a puppy...grin!
That was a decision I made because it was a DQ in our standard....not on my
personal (emotional) experience with my first wonderful white GSD.  To this
day, whenever I see a white GSD, I smile because it reminds me of my FIRST
wonderful white GSD...that of course is my "heart" reaction; To this day, I
still do not understand why people who proclaim to be serious breeders of the
GSD would even consider deliberately breeding not only for a serious fault but
for a DQ in our breed...that of course is my "brain" reaction.

So what valid reasons would someone have to deliberately choose only to breed
GSDs that had a DQ?  To breed good representatives of the breed?...OR....was it
just something they decided they wanted to do because they liked the color?  I
do not actually know!!!  I have never seen any comments from any white breeders
as to why IN THE BEGINNING they decided to deliberately breed for what was a
disqualification in the breed standard.  Does anyone know why?  Just asking??

Pauline Moon
http://www.ropajagsd.com/ Member: GSDCAmerica; GSDCAtlanta