[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Rabies Shots for older dog follow-up

  • From: Mary-Anne <versatilegsds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <genoaktortoise@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <act148@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 11:31:35 -0500

When Magnum was diagnosed with his Lymphoma, he was due to get his Rabies
shot (which is a legal necessity here in Ontario).  The Oncologist said that
there is no way that his immune system would have been able to recover from
an immunization.    I was told never to vacc him again and if there was any
problem with 'authorities', to simply ask my veterinarian for a letter
detailing that he had been given his shot as a puppy and again 1 year later
and that in their opinion he was at risk of death if immunized.   If the
matter had been 'pushed', she recommended doing a titer which she was sure
would show that he was fully protected.  This after only two doses of the
vaccine.
So I will continue to give Riikka her shots every three years but she will
never get any other immunizations again.
Mary-Anne