[ SHOWGSD-L ] RAW

  • From: Penny & Bill <ketchy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: The List <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 07:01:17 -0400

I am giving raw a try.  Luckily for me (and the dogs) there is a Blue
Ridge meat distributor within 45 minutes (in Suffolk, VA).  Plus, as
an added bonus there is a wholesale meat company right here in
Ahoskie.  We picked up chicken backs yesterday and packaged them and
plopped them in the fridge and freezer.  As far as the Blue Ridge
company goes, I'm starting out with the beef (breeder's choice), tripe
and knuckle bones; these were recommended by the distributor who's had
her show dogs on raw for 20 years.  Before that, she told me that she
had a couple of her dogs bloat.  I'm trying this for the same reason.
Having lost both Brando and Jeddie within a year to torsion and bloat,
I have to change SOMETHING.  Although I STILL believe that bloat/
torsion are familial and polygenic, I also feel that we might be doing
our dogs a disservice by feeding them processed food.  The dogs will
still get their Longevity and Garlic vitamins (from Springtime) and
their diatomaceous earth, plus their yogurt.  I pray that this new
diet will help them live healthy, long lives.
I am NOT trying to start a war about raw vs kibble; I'm just telling
you what I feel will be the BEST for MY dogs.
Please feel free to comment to the List.

Penny in NC

PS:  I would like to thank Donna Radich for all of her help getting me
started with raw.  She's my new sister and she's the BEST!