[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Question on Hospitality for judges

  • From: "RivendellP" <rivendellp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <InquestGSD@xxxxxxx>, <SHOWGSD@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 19:50:54 -0800

Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Question on Hospitality for judges

Paul opines...

Geez guyz...it all depends on the situation.

I judged a show where two of us were due to arrive within an hour of each
other...me 1st. The club had arranged a Limo to pick us up and take us to
the hotel. Tres chic no? Well the 2nd Judge's plane was delayed 1st an hour
then 2 and I sat at the airport. When last I checked they weren't sure if it
was ever going to land.

I took the limo to the hotel. The other Judge got in 5 hours late and also
took the limo. The club got PO'd at me for not waiting longer and wanted to
bill me for "my" limo ride...$50. I offered to pay. Never mind I had already
waited 3 hours for the flight that never arrived.

Judges put on pants and other garments just like everyone else. We don't
require anything other than a modicum of attention based on the situation. I
have been to pre show dinners...dinners and get togethers at homes before
and after I judged. (the latter may require a bit of thought depending on
who else comes to the get together).

I love it when I get to meet exhibitors before or after a show. It doesn't
change the way I will judge because I don't have a clue what I'm going to do
until the dogs are in the ring. I was once questioned why I would go to
dinner before I judged with exhibitors. Well...the reason was because I had
spent 2 days by myself and the club I was judging for did nothing. I went to
dinner with a group of 10 people and 2 were special friends. The next day
they showed 3 dogs and took a 3rd, 4th, and a DNF. We're still
friends...even better friends because we understand our friendship isn't
based on putting up each others dogs. If that was thought to be the
case...we were never meant to be friends in the 1st place.

Talk to your Judge and find out what works for them. I have been picked up
by club members, took a shuttle, and rented my own car. None of which caused
a furrow to appear above my brow.

I have always put the joy of judging our wonderful dogs well above my own
personal treatment. That said...I did a show in Central Mass as I recall. I
had lunch in a house that was made in 1709 and stayed in another old house
with a wonderful couple called the Purdy's. They collected their own
eggs...cured their own bacon...and drew maple syrup from their own trees.
Mrs. Purdy cooked for me as if I was her own. I rode a Morgan horse through
country that was part of the history of early Massachusetts and didn't see a
freeway for 4 days. And...New England was in full Fall Bloom.

As a Judge or a man...I don't think I could ask more than that. It is an
experience I will cherish forever.

Paul