[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Question about Coats

  • From: CARALAND@xxxxxxx
  • To: BEG48@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 21:07:56 EDT

In a message dated 6/24/2005 9:51:20 PM Pacific Standard Time, BEG48@xxxxxxx
writes:
Here is my question> If you were to breed a coated male to a coated
bitch  whose parents on Both sides are not coated but apparently carry the
coat factor and there are no known coated relatives close up in the bloodline
of
both these animals. What would be the percentage of possible coats from this
breeding.
As I stated in an earlier reply, dogs with long coats only have one gene to
give and that is long coat. The answer to the above question is "the pups would
all be long coated".  If you bred either of the parents mentioned above to a
mate that does not carry the long coat gene then none of the pups would be
long coated as both parents have to give the long coat gene to the same pup.
However, all of the pups would carry the long coat gene as that is all that the
long coated parent could give.
Jack