[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Question about Coats

  • From: DaniaKarloff@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 01:09:10 EDT

In a message dated 6/25/2005 12:51:26 AM Eastern Standard Time,
BEG48@xxxxxxx writes:
Here is  my question> If you were to breed a coated male to a coated
bitch   whose parents on Both sides are not coated but apparently carry the
coat  factor and there are no known coated relatives close up in the
bloodline of
both these animals.

Wow !!!  I really would like to hear the experts response to this  question.

The way that I understand it, if it is a simple straight recessive gene,  you
should get all coats.  The premise would be that both the sire and dam
exhibit long coat.  Since the short/correct coat is dominant over  long coat,
we
have to assume the dam and the sire do not carry the  short/correct coat gene.
Hence the puppies should be all long coats.
However, if coat is not a simple recessive gene then all bets are  off.

Lets hear other opinions.

Dania