[ SHOWGSD-L ] Question - The National Banquet

  • From: Cinosam GSD <cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 18:48:33 -0800 (PST)

  This was my first National and my first banquet so I only have this year as a
reference, but I do have a question regarding the banquet and it?s function.
For the record I enjoyed the banquet, the food and the bar, couldn?t hear a
thing, thought the facility was okay, but appreciated the table decorations.

  It seems to me that there were not many people that attended the banquet
given the amount of dogs being shown and spectators in the stands and I?ve been
told by various people that the banquet is the same old, same old so why go or
that because they went last year they didn?t attend this year, and for any
number of other mostly negative reasons they didn?t feel the need to
participate.

  That said, I?m wondering has the banquet ever been anything other than a
place where people meet at the end of a long week, enjoy some food and
cocktail, listen to the winners talk and hear what the judges have to say, and
finally find out who the judges will be for next years National.

  I was amazed at how fast the party wrapped up after the final announcement
and like I said, though I enjoyed my experience (probably because it was my
first), I?m wondering if we?ve ever done or considered doing other things at
the banquet besides the above mentioned.

  Having attended numerous banquets related to mostly hunting organizations
like Ducks Unlimited, (my family hunts not me), they have so many wonderful
ideas for keeping the crowd active and involved, and it?s so darn much fun, I?m
wondering if the club has ever considered doing or having more events at the
banquet.

  What I am suggesting relates to door prices (I know there were a couple of
door prices, but I?m talking on a grander scale - for example in the hunting
banquets the big prizes are guns), or raffles, with outstanding prizies
(handler fees would be a good one or any dog related items, leashes, crates, X
pens etc), Silent Auctions or even a live auction??.just different things to
keep the crowd involved an mingling, rather than everyone just hanging at their
tables and the minute the judge is announced the crowd leaving.

   Yes we are all tired and all have dogs to take care of but if it was an
event that people could come and go as they pleased, the night wouldn?t seem so
long.

  Before anyone bites my head off, I totally understand the amount of work
involved in doing something like this, getting donations, running the raffles
and so on, but in a perfect world if all of that was taken care of, would this
be something the club would even consider?

  Cindy
  www.cinosamgsd.com

Cindy
www.cinosamgsd.com