[ SHOWGSD-L ] Focus on the dogs!

  • From: "antonio ybarra" <antybo0@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 19:49:55 -0700

There are lots of problems in the breed and we?ve all had them:

-  I?m a member, and I?m not receiving my Reviews nor did I receive ballots
to vote.  I?ve e-mailed the editor and haven?t received a response.
-  I purchased tickets for the Nationals two months in advance for VIP
seating and a week before the shows I got a notice that I didn?t get the
tickets because they were sold out.  I?m still waiting for my refund.
-  Breeders/judges at the Nationals being disrespectful and unsportsman-like
to the judges
-  Dogs at the Nationals left in their stalls all day
-  Experienced enthusiasts on list putting down ?newbies? rather than
supporting and teaching the people who will determine where the breed goes
in the future.
-  Less than honest breeders taking advantage of ?newbies? (everyone was a
?newbie? at one point!)
-  Hotel rooms for the 2007 Nationals have already been taken.
-  I live in a city where the GS club has been appropriated by people who do
not choose to do anything to promote the breed.  Now, if anyone in town
wants to do anything they?ll have to work twice as hard to remove the
moribund group already in place and build an enthusiastic organization.

That being said, I went to the Nationals and had a blast looking at class
after class of amazing dogs!  I also had a chance to see the people who got
me excited about German shepherds.  I can?t imagine what it would have been
like to start without some of these icons of the breed taking me under their
wings and showing me what is so special about some of these dogs.  Though
there were not rooms to stay at the host hotel with ?in crowd? (whatever
that means), we ended up close by in a hotel that was even nicer.  At the
end of the day, it?s the dogs and the experts that share their love of the
breed that keep me coming back.

So don?t give up ?newbies? and keep with it to make the club your club.

-Jose