[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: "Prosternum" not Posternum

  • From: Lindenhill German Shepherds <lindenhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 18:11:21 +0000 (UTC)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lindenhill German Shepherds" <lindenhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: acara1997@xxxxxxx
Cc: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, February 21, 2010 12:03:46 PM GMT -06:00 US/Canada Central
Subject: Re: [ SHOWGSD-L ] "Prosternum" not Posternum

My question was really directed towards shoulder placement not rib cage
breadth. I agree differences in the rib cage would produce those results I
dont' agree with the connection of "how much" prosternum(posternum) and that
development, but more so, that it is connected to the more forward placement of
the shoulder that we are(at least I am) seeing in the breed. In some cases
coupled with an upright or straight shoulder.

And I am currious if judges are actually verifying that.

This area of the standard is a bit ambiguous in that it is not specific how
much extensiont or protusion is optimal for the GSD, my personal
observations(rib cage development aside) would like to see 2 inches as optimal
or preferred.

This same shoulder placement(forward) results in the appearance of "short
necked" dogs. I dont' think we really have dogs with short necks but rather
shoulder placements that make it appear as such.

respectfully,