[ SHOWGSD-L ] "Private Club"

  • From: Ken and Pat Downing <abraxaskp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 20:20:42 -0800 (PST)

Dave:  Good to hear from you and glad to see someone is reading and thinking.
My e-mail said more than just the concept of a "private club" and we are both
aware of that.  One thing that would go a long way to help clarify the
situation would be for someone to actually secure the IRS Rules and Regulations
which apply to our 501(c) status, which of course means we will need to know
for sure whether we are a 501(c)3 or a 501(c)7.  A lot of (c)7's were changed a
few years ago to (c)3 status.  Those rules and regulations along with our
By-Laws and Procedures will tell us how we must operate our club.
  Your last point about listening to an attorney is wise indeed.  Of course it
must be a competent attorney knowledgeable in all these particular areas.  In
any event, I am almost sure the conclusion will be that the club cannot act in
an arbitrary and capricious manner in the way we handle our membership and
decide who gets in and who doesn't!  I am a big believer that knowledge is
power and perhaps someone will actually offer some information.  We have CPA's
in our club who provide 501(c) information on rules and regulations, we have
many lawyers to offer information on legal matters and if they all step up just
maybe we won't be operating on opinions!   Best regards, Ken Downing

          Abraxas...The Secret of Success is Consistency of Purpose
  Visit our website at www.abraxasgsd.com
  Signers: Breeders Code of Ethics, GSDCA, Inc.
  Members GSDCA,Inc.(Ken 10/78, Patty 4/80) & GSDCA-WDA