[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Ponazuril use for coccidia

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: tacoragsd@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 06:56:09 EST

Ackkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk............this has been approved for horses and
 comes in a paste.  I would be scared to DEATH to even attempt to dilute it
 enough for a 5 lb puppy.

For what it's worth, I don't treat for coccidia UNLESS a puppy  (puppies)
have loose stools.  Puppies have immunity from their momma until  the 9-12
week mark then they develop their own immunity by 6 months.  What  worries me
is all of the "stuff" owners and vets want to do to try and rid the  GI
tract of naturally occurring organisms.  (That are going to come back  the week
following treatment anyway.)

Yes, you can have a problem w/ a tiny puppy and/or an adult with a
compromised immune system, and yes, sometimes puppies in a new home can need
treatment especially if there are cats/some birds (notorious for shedding
coccidia), but I educate puppy people then let them make their call with their
vets.

Personally, I let their own immune system handle things like coccidia,
especially is they have no symptoms. If they have symptoms, albon for 3 days is
 fine.  It doesn't kill the coccidia but it interferes w/ their ability to
reproduce and allows the puppy's immune system to "catch up".

I'm feeling the same way about giardia these days too.  (And that's  the
NEXT sheet of info that will be included w/ a puppy packet).

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC

In a message dated 11/8/2010 11:06:42 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
tacoragsd@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Has any  one used Ponazuril, to treat coccidia? and what would be the
dosage
for  5lb pups, Would you say it is safe?.What I have read, Ponazuril
actually
kills the coccidia which makes for a faster response to treatment and
shorter course of therapy. Shelters are using it. any feed back would be
helpful.
Lisa

POST  is Copyrighted 2010.  All material remains the property of the

expressed in any post.

NATIONAL  BLOG -  http://gsdnational.blogspot.com/