[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Pick puppy

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: djur@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 13:01:20 EST

In a message dated 2/10/2005 11:43:23 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
djur@xxxxxxx writes:
Just  because this person is smaller and has been unable to
travel (as yet) far  and wide to exhibit their dogs - does this mean they don
t have the  credentials needed to own a truely "pick pup" from a bigger, well
known  breeder?

It totally depends on the circumstances.  These days w/ the worries of
zoning, becoming "over dogged" etc., two career couples, sometimes costs, a lot
 of
people breed only for themselves.  If someone has a litter they've  had their
hearts set on, then, no, I don't expect them to part with the one (or
several) they want to grow out no matter who comes up the driveway and makes
promises about how the dog will be grown out and/or shown.  Now, they may
"guess"
right when "picking", or they may guess wrong and the star may get  away.  Who
knows?  But, I don't expect anyone to let me look at their  puppies and sell
me the one they may have earmarked for themselves.  If I  see something I'm
drooling over, I may ask if the dog is available and if so,  what the terms
are,
but "expect", no, I don't think it's fair to "expect".   The only way I know
to make sure you'll get your "pick" puppy is to sit in the  whelping box and
deliver your bitch's puppies <G>.

Also, is it unrealistic to expect a bigger, well known breeder to  guarantee
the health and well-being of their stock (when the pup would  receive the
upmost in care and control while growing and maturing)?
I  am talking about anything that would compromise this pup from being used
in  a hopeful, future breeding program...

If you are asking about a buying a dog as a puppy who can be competitive in
the breed ring and later worthy of being bred, I think it can be unrealistic,
yes.  Now, if you want guarantees, buy a dog that is old enough to  prelim
and be vet checked for whatever else you'd like, who will be old  enough
coincidentally that you can see what you have as far as temperament and
conformation.  Be prepared to open your checkbook (very) wide, because by  that
time the
breeder has taken (almost) all of the risk.  In fact, by that  time, if the dog
is a star it's unlikely that it will be available.  My own  personal opinion
and practice is that puppies who very well may be competitive  later are sold
at the same price with the same basic hip guarantees as companion  puppies.
For me, it doesn't make sense to charge a whole lot of money for  a puppy and
then have to replace a dog two or three times who may not turn out  to be a
super star.  I've been on the other side of that kind of deal and  it just
never
tastes right. JMHO

Kathy

visit _Pine Hill German Shepherd  Dogs_