[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Pick puppy

  • From: Deanne Jur <djur@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx, "Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 10:42:14 -0600 (Central Standard Time)

 Hello Kathy,
I completely agree with everything you've said!
However, take into consideration the fact that, as stated earlier, this
purchaser is a "small breeder," very "picky," has been doing their research
for many years on different bloodlines (or at least as much as humanly
possible), and has been around watching, learning and participating in every
aspect of this wonderful (yet sometimes frustrating) world of dogs for 10+
years! The MOST important aspect being "betterment of our breed!"
They have been searching for that "all round special dog" to add to their
family (locally very involved in their breed club, teaches all-breed
obedience, and has been actively showing-with much success)! They always
stand behind the dogs they produce 100% and make themselves available for
assistance and guidance)! Why shouldn't they expect to receive the same kind
of respect from fellow breeder's with the same purpose in mind (betterment
of the breed)? Just because this person is smaller and has been unable to
travel (as yet) far and wide to exhibit their dogs - does this mean they don
t have the credentials needed to own a truely "pick pup" from a bigger, well
known breeder?
Also, is it unrealistic to expect a bigger, well known breeder to guarantee
the health and well-being of their stock (when the pup would receive the
upmost in care and control while growing and maturing)?
I am talking about anything that would compromise this pup from being used
in a hopeful, future breeding program...
*All comments are welcomed.

Sincerely,

Deanne

********************************
In a message dated 2/10/2005 1:51:52 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
djur@xxxxxxx writes:
2. Will  you even consider them for a pick puppy?  Truely?

Certainly; you can't keep 'em all.  BTW, just my own observation on  this,
but when you look at a quality litter at whatever age you first evaluate
them
(for me, five weeks), they should be pretty uniform and you should  just be
weighing nuances.  Different people will "pick" different  nuances.  For
instance, I'm anal about fronts and backs.  I LOVE to  see beautiful
proportion at
that age.  I'm also attracted to the "bad" one  for some reason. I have a
friend
that loves "pretty, pretty, pretty".   Another that knows what she wants
three
generations down the road and is able to  zero in on what she'd like to
compensate in her breeding program.  It's  funny, but I can look at a litter
and
say "that one is who so-and-so would like"  and friends that know what I
like
can do the same for me.
Now, there's a whole lot of growing up to do between five weeks and  when
our
expectations ate (hopefully) met, but it's fun to dream.  My point  is, when
you look at a quality litter, three or four people could have three or  four
different "picks". Look at a lot of litters when the opportunity arises,
follow the dogs and see if your expectations for a particular puppy are  met

Kathy

visit _Pine Hill German Shepherd  Dogs_