[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: PETLAND!!

  • From: "Dorathy Jenkins" <edenhill@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dir@xxxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 18:52:24 -0500

I did almost the same as you.  There is a Petland within "lunch hour
distance" from where I used to work.  I discouraged quite a few potential
customers from purchasing a puppy from the store.  I explained to them what
they were looking at and that a healthier puppy could be acquired from a
local breeder for about half what Petland was charging.  I would take a copy
of the local kennel club breeders directory and give them contact info.  I
had a few such conversations with the management and was told they came from
"reputable breeders".  I also told him I was aware they came from puppy
mills.  Strangely, they would never let anyone look at a pedigree or blue
sheet until they were paid in full.  One lady said she thought a selling
point was that she could use her credit card.  I told her reputable breeders
would also let her make payments.    The manager was not happy seeing me
there; so I educated a few co-workers who lived in that area and they would
visit the store and give them the same spiel (as my disciples). LOL. The
president of our kennel club manages a pet supply store in the next mall,
and they do quite well without selling puppies