[ SHOWGSD-L ] Outdoor National-Tempe Arizona.--some History...

  • From: VPREZHMF@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 23:52:28 EDT

Just to remind members that the outdoor National at Tempe was one of the
most expensive Nationals we have ever put on. We had it there ,honoring Bob
Hamilton,former President,who had died. His idea had been to use the baseball
field ,as it was ,and use the regular bleachers that were permanent. Well,when
we went out there,we found no one would be able to see good--too far away,and
we  couldn't use the baseball diamond ,because running around it you would be
changing from grass to dirt and back to grass and back to dirt ---up and down.
 We decided it was too dangerous ,so took the show out to the  outfield,and
had those special bleachers built from scratch--very  expensive. EVERYTHING----
every table for the vendors,who were up in the  bleachers,every table for us
workers. ( I was Membership and packets) Red book  table, etc,and every single
chair that went up on the bleachers or anywhere on  the grounds had to be
rented for the entire time. Betty Hamilton worked her butt  off on that
National
Because the law required it,we had to also hire Security  Guards for the whole
time. We had to rent tents to cover the judges,and handlers  grooming,as well
as the workers We had to  pay the food vendors up in the  bleacher for extra
time. Baseball games don't last all day,like a dog show,so  they had to come
early and stay until our day ended ,
 Bob's idea had been to have an outdoor show,and since he  had been Park's &
Recreation Director of Tempe,we were able to pay a  reasonable fee,for renting
the field,to fulfill his dream.It was a huge  success,but it cost us a
fortune. Everyone had a lovely time in the sunshine.  All the handlers wore
black
arm bands to honor  the death of LaMar. That  was the year we had our first
"Sieger Show" The WDA put it on about !/4 mile  from us,and their Judge  sat at
the head table,with our  judges for dinner Sat,and also gave a short speech.
The
Board felt you  could not expect members to bring  chairs on the planes to
have a seat  at their National. So this idea of an outdoor show being like a
regional  Specialty,and bring your own chair is ridiculous. We went back to an
indoor  National again after that.
Helen Miller Fisher