[ SHOWGSD-L ] Our non-conformist Breeders' Brag

  • From: Erynbrook@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 14:40:38 EST

The last time we bragged on the list was related to our great puppy  owners
and here comes another one, but this one kind of tops them all in my  book.
This is an update from the owners of two-year-old Erynbrook's Criminal
Mischief
CGC, TDI (known to his family as Bill). He's the dog who has been part  of the
Read Aloud to A Dog program at the library since he was about 6 months  old a
nd has been visiting hospital patients for nearly as long, Its a story  about
a hospital, an out of control child and a two-year-old dog who  knows how to
handle it all --

"I thought you and Nancie would like to know what a steady boy you all
bred...
As far as I'm concerned, Bill had a far more important temperament  test
today at the hospital than AKC could ever give.
We were toodling down  the hall in Cardiac Care Unit. We always glance into
rooms just to see if a  doctor is there, health care staff, visitors or if the
patient is asleep before  we ask if the patient wants a visit.
I've done it so often, I don't even  think about it.
Today after just passing a VERY crowded room, suddenly I  heard a loud
"deeeee" and see a little (probably 2 year old) girl barreling out  of the room
straight for Bill! I saw parents and thought, "oh no, they'll freak  out when
they
see her rushing a GSD." I also saw Bill look up and wonder what  dervish was
coming full force towards him.
I quickly told Bill to sit. The  child ran up and grabbed his neck and
started talking 2 yr old talk. He sat  there, sniffed her face, gave her a kiss
and
that was it. He was as steady as a  rock. Her parents came out and said she
had dogs at home and loved them.
Of  course, they were stupid. And lucky it was a dog like Bill.
I had to think  back to the temperament test at the National when Bill just
ho-hummed the guy  coming out the door waving a cane and mumbling. He was
marked down for not  reacting with alarm. Thank god for dogs who know the
difference between threats  and surprises!
All from here..."

Thanks for letting us share -- Nancie & Susan

Erynbrook German Shepherds
Front Range German Shepherd  Rescue