[ SHOWGSD-L ] Our National

  • From: "Nancy Harper" <nancy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 22:32:29 -0400

Perhaps I am wrong, but I don't think those that are asking that we return the
National to a dog show are suggesting that our National is "just like the
Specialty down the Road".  Of course our National should be "special" IT IS OUR
NATIONAL.  We don't feature Futurity/Maturity Victors/Victrix at our specialty
shows, neither do we have Obedience Victor, nor Selects, or GV or GVX.  Those
beautiful trophies, Select Ribbons etc are for our National only.  I suspect
that what is meant by returning the National to a "dog show" is that
exhibitors/breeders/handlers etc are asking that the "Main Focus" for the
National Specialty be "the dogs" - not the dinners, not the grand hotels etc.
Making the National easy to get to, good motels and grassy areas for the dogs
does not diminish the Show itself - that part of the National in which the dogs
are exhibited and honored in a special way i.e. the Parade of Greats, the Brood
Bitch, Stud Dog Class, these are all very special and can be presented as such.
  I believe the message is that the show itself is first and foremost, after
that whatever we can fit in to make it better is great.  If the best site and
the way to get there demands we forfeit a facility large enough to host a sit
down dinner in a large high rise hotel then it appears that is what the message
is behind many emails.  Getting refreshed, dressing up, having a cocktail is
very appealing - this can still be done with a cocktail party and finger foods,
plus space for awards and announcements of next year's Board and Judges.  There
are ways it can be done successfully, with good taste while creating a special
atmosphere.
This whole process is not easy,  finding sites that can meet all the demands is
difficult at best and I do not envy those responsible for trying to make
everyone happy.  I am suggesting that we accept what  appears to be the
enviable and that is change.  Nothing remains the same all the time.  We have
to be flexible and creative.
Rita Sandell certainly made valid points regarding being comfortable, it's hard
to enjoy a beautiful show if you miserable with cold, rain, mud etc. &
certainly the dogs don't look their best.  On the other hand our dogs look
beautiful out on the grass.  We just have to keep trying and keep looking,
investigating and be open to new suggestions and changes if needed.