[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: One step further (was rings too close)

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 08:34:48 EDT

I am of two minds on this.

Dog, at any age, have to be proofed to ignore distractions (and, yes, I've
titled clear to UD at a very young age; extra effort to make them "bomb
proof", but it can be done.)  You never know if you'll be sending a dog to  a
hot dog vendor right on the other side of the gate for a go-out, large
indoor shows have rings that share a common side, etc.

BUT some of the worst distractions I've seen aren't from the breed
competitors at combined shows, they are at stand alone trials w/ other OB or
Rally
competitors playing outside of the ring w/ tugs or squeakers to get their
dogs "up", throwing handfuls of treats the minute they exit the ring etc.
At stand alone Agility trials things really get nuts outside of the ring
<G>.

So, from a competitor's standpoint, for me, it's "train, don't  complain".

The other side, from being a show chair and WANTING THOSE ENTRIES is to set
 up the site in such a way that it gives everyone the absolute best chance
to  succeed.  That means spreading the rings out, generous aisles between
the  performance rings, providing the judges w/ an option to set their
patterns for "go outs", sits & downs and scent articles to the least
distracting
side/corner etc. When I do a judging program, classes and rings  are
staggered, so that I don't have Open w/ out of sight sits and downs  next to
Novice
Rally w/ the green dogs, constant chatter and commands. We go so  far as to
set up a separate tape  outside of the rings where folks  can't put their
chairs, crates etc., and we keep an eye on training outside of  the ring and
ask that it be done away from the ring.  We are blessed w/ a  lot of club
members that keep a general eye on things. It works.  We have a  lot of
positive feedback and nice entries.  Now, does it make things easier  for the
competitor and dog to qualify?  Probably not if a dog isn't  ready.  Maybe so
if
it's a newbie handler if they have a case of  jitters <G>.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
visit www.geocities.com/pinehillgsds

In a message dated 4/17/2009 8:08:03 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
Ketchy@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

TIT  FOR TAT:  A WELL TRAINED SHOW DOG SHOULD NOT NEED THE BELLS,
WHISTLES AND CAT CALLS OF DOUBLE HANDLING.  The show dog should  be
totally focused on his/her handler.
Penny in  NY

Rebecca,
A well trained obedience dog has no problem with dogs  running in a
ring next to them. The dog should be totally focused on  his/her
handler. I had a dog run into the ring while we were heeling  during
the signal exercise in Utility and my girl never took her  eyes off me.
Not a problem!!! Most of my trials are AB shows. (BTW,  she is an ILP
dog....no parentage shown on papers)
Norco,  CA.

Marcia  &
 is Copyrighted 2008.  All material remains the property of the

VISIT OUR  WEBSITE - http://showgsd.org
**************Join ChristianMingle.com® FREE! Meet Christian Singles in
your area. Start now!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221246370x1201421635/aol?redir=http://www.christianmingle.com/campaign.html?cat­buy&src=pl
atforma&adid=aolfooter&newurl=reg_path.html)