[ SHOWGSD-L ] Older GSD w/bone cancer-need help

  • From: CheradonGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 23:06:16 EDT

Hello List,
I hurt very much having to write this but I need your help and  advice.
My Rosie who was 11 in May had just been diagnosed with bone cancer in her
shoulder.
She had been limping for several weeks and I just knew that she had pulled  a
muscle or had a sprain or something.  I did try bufferin but it did  nothing.
 But She was eating normal (she had always been quite a "hog" and  will eat
her food and I have always had to watch her weight so she doesnt  get too fat.
Anyway, -I did notice that her left shoulder at the top of the  shoulder blade
looked like there was maybe swelling or something there-but she  would hold
her leg up--so I thought maybe it just looked that way cause she was  holding
her leg up.  the average person would not have noticed the  "swelling" but I
did see it.  (It was NOT soft or spongybut hard-thats why  I thought it was
just
the way she would hold her leg.  )I took her to the  vet 2 weeks ago
expecting him to tell me that she had a pulled muscle or  something and he felt
it and
manipulated her leg and shoulder and all--and said  he thought it was
cancer--bone cancer in her shoulder.  I nearly had a  heart attack.  He did an
xray
and showed it to me-and while you can see the  other bones in her back and leg
clearly, the top of her shoulder blade is just a  grayish mass.  I asked him
how long--and he said--"not months but  weeks.  Since it is cancer--and cancer
grows so fast."
Bone cancer--in her shoulder????  this is incredible.  I just  couldnt
believe it.  How can this happen??
He put her on Rimadyl--1 every 12 hours.
She has since been eating normal--up until the past couple days.  I  know the
rimadyl is bothering her stomach--I have been giving her yogurt but  although
she eats it, it dosent appear to be helping.  - I started  giving her
Pepsid--is supposed to help her stomach but although she has been on  it since
Sat
nite- (1  10 mg tab 2x/day)--that dosent seem to be  helping.  Yes, it has been
hot and about 1/2 of my dogs are not eating like  they normally do, but Rosie
is one of those dogs that NEVER will miss a  meal.  This is a dog that has
NEVER been sick in her life and up until  a couple months ago was chasing her
son
around the back year stealing his  ball.

What can I give her to help counteract the stomach problems from the
Rimadyl???
She spends 90% of her day now sleeping and although I know her shoulder
hurts when she walks--I dont believe it is yet "time" to take her for that
final
trip to the vet. She is still very alert and is still my "Alpha bitch".   she
does NOT cry at all in pain and up until the past couple days, she will  stand
up to eat and goes out potty normally.  She is NOT vomiting or  having
diarreah but I just know her stomach is upset from the Rimadyl.
This is breaking my heart.  I just want to make her as comfortable and  pain
free as possible until it is time for her to leave me.
What can I do????????????
Cheri
Cheradon Shepherds