[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Older GSD w/bone cancer-need help

  • From: candiasgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: CheradonGSD@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 14:55:45 GMT

Cheri,

When Ivy was 6 I found 2 little lumps on her hock.  Took her to the vet and
had them removed.  The lab said they were cancer, but not the kind that
spreads.  Not to worry.  The leg never healed and when I took Ivy back to
the vet she was shocked at how the leg looked and did a bone biopsy.  It was
bone cancer.  Ivy's leg was amputated.  She made it a little over a year.  I
thought she was beefing up in the front due to more of a workout on her front
end since she was missing a rear leg.  My vet was shocked when she saw
how heavy Ivy was in the front and drew fluid out of her heart after doing an
x-ray.  The cancer had spread there.  We put her on heart meds and
diuretics for the fluid.  She didn't have a quality life very long after that.
Once she gave me the signs that she was miserable, and no she never cried
out in pain, I had to make that very painful decision for Ivy's sake, not mine.

You may not be ready for her leave you, but you have to make the decision
as to what his best for Rosie.  My prayers and strength are with you.  I've
had to make this decision twice now and it's not easy.  When, Asta another
girl of mine had to be euthanized at 10 1/2 years I laid a quilt down on the
living room carpet and my vet came to the house.  I was able to hold her
until she passed over.

CandyZ

> Hello List,
> I hurt very much having to write this but I need your help and  advice.
> My Rosie who was 11 in May had just been diagnosed with bone cancer in
her
> shoulder.
> She had been limping for several weeks and I just knew that she had
pulled  a
> muscle or had a sprain or something.  I did try bufferin but it did  nothing.
>  But She was eating normal (she had always been quite a "hog" and  will
eat
> her food and I have always had to watch her weight so she doesnt  get too
fat.
> Anyway, -I did notice that her left shoulder at the top of the  shoulder
blade
> looked like there was maybe swelling or something there-but she  would
hold
> her leg up--so I thought maybe it just looked that way cause she was
holding
> her leg up.  the average person would not have noticed the  "swelling" but
> did see it.  (It was NOT soft or spongybut hard-thats why  I thought it was
just
> the way she would hold her leg.  )I took her to the  vet 2 weeks ago
> expecting him to tell me that she had a pulled muscle or  something and he
felt it and
> manipulated her leg and shoulder and all--and said  he thought it was
> cancer--bone cancer in her shoulder.  I nearly had a  heart attack.  He did
an xray
> and showed it to me-and while you can see the  other bones in her back
and leg
> clearly, the top of her shoulder blade is just a  grayish mass.  I asked him
> how long--and he said--"not months but  weeks.  Since it is cancer--and
cancer
> grows so fast."
> Bone cancer--in her shoulder????  this is incredible.  I just  couldnt
> believe it.  How can this happen??
> He put her on Rimadyl--1 every 12 hours.
> She has since been eating normal--up until the past couple days.  I  know
the
> rimadyl is bothering her stomach--I have been giving her yogurt but
although
> she eats it, it dosent appear to be helping.  - I started  giving her
> Pepsid--is supposed to help her stomach but although she has been on  it
since Sat
> nite- (1  10 mg tab 2x/day)--that dosent seem to be  helping.  Yes, it has
been
> hot and about 1/2 of my dogs are not eating like  they normally do, but
Rosie

==========================
> POST is Copyrighted 2006.  All material remains the property of the
original author and of
GSD Communication, Inc. NO REPRODUCTIONS or FORWARDS of any kind
are permitted without
prior permission of the original author  AND of the Showgsd-l Management.
ALL RIGHTS
RESERVED.

> ALL PERSONS ARE ON NOTICE THAT THE FORWARDING, REPRODUCTION
OR USE IN ANY MANNER OF ANY
MATERIAL WHICH APPEARS ON SHOWGSD-L WITHOUT THE EXPRESS
PERMISSION OF ALL PARTIES TO THE
POST AND THE LIST MANAGEMENT IS EXPRESSLY FORBIDDEN, AND IS A
VIOLATION OF LAW. VIOLATORS
OF THIS PROHIBITION WILL BE PROSECUTED.