[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: No more breeding in Palm Beach County - Your Help is Needed!!!

  • From: sheila lieberman <dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: almanya@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 07:45:31 -0700 (PDT)

Below is what I am sending to all the commissioners of Palm Beach County.  I
hope it helps.
  sheila

  I find it very sad that reasonable people, many of whom I am sure own a dog
or cat or two, can be swayed to think that every animal should be prevented
from reproducing ever again.  Just how do you plan to get your child or
yourself another pet when the current ones pass on?  Where does the next
generation of beloved pets come from?

  It is one thing to expect that people take responsibility for their animals,
it is another to tell them how they must be responsible.  Total spay and neuter
of all dogs and cats will end the existence of such pets.  Yes, most should be
neutered to prevent the unknowing from having baby pets that they cannot or
worse, will not, care for properly.  However Palm Beach County has a large
population of responsible dog and cat breeders who breed to provide for show
animals and pets.  Some of the best cared for animals are bred to show and make
more show dogs and cats.  These same people also produce many of the pet
animals that you see every day, and this is the best source of pets.  Pet
stores are the worst source of pets.  Take a look in any pet selling store at
the conditions of those poor creatures.

  I would love to see an end to commercial breeders who breed in bulk only for
profit, but that is not the group you should be concerned about.  The next time
you want a quality dog of a specific breed, will you find it locally?  If this
law is passed, I am sure the the many dog show clubs that have used the South
Florida Fair Grounds will be looking for a location in a near by county and
very soon.  And the clubs that are based in Palm Beach County will be gone,
disbanned for lack of membership, for lack of show-able and breed-able dogs.
This is a source of income for the county, there are some eight to twelve clubs
hosting dog shows in the county at the fair grounds every year.  It will end if
you pass any law that limits the reproductive life or our dogs and cats.

  Yes, there are plenty of people who do not realize that they are creating a
problem, but they need to be the ones legislated.  It should be unlawful to
allow animals to run at large and on their own, and the fine should be doubled
for female animals who are in breeding status to be free.  Owners of males who
remain intact should also be heavily fined for allowing their breeding stock
loose.  But don't stop the rights of your citizens to own animals completely by
stopping all breeding of animals in the county.

  That is just bad long term planning.
Sheila Lieberman
  resident of Miami-Dade County
  Loving Obedience Dog Training
  Secretary German Shepherd Dog Club of Greater Miami
  member German Shepherd Dog Club of Ft Lauderdale
  member German Shepherd Dog Club of America

almanya@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:  <>
At a workshop last week the Palm Beach County Commission approved staff
drafting of a mandatory spay/neuter proposal. The measure will be presented to
the council in December. It is also anticipated that the county will be raising
license fees and possibly adopting other fees, such as a breeder permit, that
would impact breeders and owners. We will provide more details on the specifics
of the measure as they become available. Here is one of the recent articles
from the Palm Beach Post:
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/local_news/content/local_news/epaper/2007/10/24/c1a_PETS_1024.html?cxntlid=inform.

It is vital that breeders and concerned dog owners act now to educate their
elected officials about responsible breeding practices and the ineffectiveness
of mandatory spay/neuter. To find out who represents you on the Palm Beach
County Commission, click here: http://www.pbcgov.com/districtlocator/. Contact
information for all commissioners is listed below.

I am attaching a set of talking points and a sample letter for you to use in
communicating with your elected officials. You will see that there are spaces
in the letter to personalize it  it is important that your leaders know how
this will impact their individual constituents. If you would like additional
information and resources, please contact us at doglaw@xxxxxxx and we would be
happy to provide those to you.

Please contact the Jupiter Tequesta Dog Club at summitash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx to find
out how you can get involved locally. We all need to work together to defeat
this proposal!!

Mailing Address for County Commissioners:

301 N. Olive Avenue
West Palm Beach, FL 33401

Commissioner Karen Marcus, District 1
(561) 355-2201
877-930-2201
(Toll Free outside the West Palm Beach calling area)
Fax: 561-355-6094

KMARCUS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Commissioner Jeff Koons, District 2
(561) 355-2202
877-930-2202
(Toll Free outside the West Palm Beach calling area)

jkoons@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Commissioner Robert J. Kanjian, District 3
(561) 355-2203
877-930-2203
(Toll Free outside the West Palm Beach calling area)

BKANJIAN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Commissioner Mary McCarty, District 4
(561) 355-2204
(561) 276-1220
(South County)

MMCCARTY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Commissioner Burt Aaronson, District 5
(561) 355-2205
877-930-2205
(Toll Free outside the West Palm Beach calling area)

BAARONSO@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Commissioner Jess R. Santamaria, District 6
(561) 355-6300
877-930-2206
(Toll Free outside the West Palm Beach calling area)

jsantama@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Commissioner Addie Greene, District 7
(561) 355-2207
(561) 276-1350