[ SHOWGSD-L ] News from Show Dog Online Magazine

  • From: VPREZHMF@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 09:25:00 EDT

I thought everyone might be interested in a  report from Show Dog Reporter
Online Magazine( Ric  Routhlege)    The GSDCA National got attention on this
 Helen Miller Fisher

German Shepherd National
Hotels welcome show dogs,  revenues
FARMINGTON, UT. - Davis hotel owners have rolled out  the plastic mat this
week for canines competing in the German Shepherd Dog  Club of America 2010
National Specialty Show at the Legacy Events Center  in Farmington.
And there appears to be a scent of gold in offering each  Rover a place to
put his paws up after a long, hard day of  tail-wagging.
To accommodate the 500 to 600 competing German shepherds,  as well as their
"best friend" handlers, about 1,400 hotel-room stays will  be generated,
said Barbara Riddle, Davis Area Convention & Visitor's  Bureau CEO and
president.
That gives the weeklong event an overall  economic impact of $318,380 to
the county, she said.
"What really  drives room nights is the number of days," Riddle said,
explaining the  value of the county's hosting the Oct. 12-16 event and the
willingness of  many local hoteliers to allow dogs in their rooms.
One of those local  hoteliers collaring the dog business is the TownePlace
Suites.
"We're  an extended-stay hotel. We never turn away people's family, whether
they  be human or animal," said Gabe Garn, general manager for the Layton
hotel.
The owners of those German shepherds competing in the contest  take
tremendous care of their well-trained animals, he said.
"We have  many of them staying with us. We haven't had a single issue with
them."
But not every hotel puts a bone out for pets.
"Some hotels  say, 'Our brand doesn't do dogs,' " Riddle said.
But then there are the  hoteliers who love dogs and, because the American
Kennel Club regulations  provide information on overnight accommodations for
them, are willing to  take them in.
AKC regulations include placing plastic sheeting -- made  available by the
hotel at check-in -- under every dog crate in the rooms;  requiring that
dogs be crated when the owner is out of the room; dogs  being kept on leashes
when in the hotel, lobby or hotel grounds; and  owners picking up after their
pets at all times.
No dog may be bathed  in the hotel, and no more than two dogs are allowed
per room.
To read  more:
_http://www.standard.net/http://www.standard.net/<WBhttp://www.standard.net/<Whttp://www.st_

(http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=h9dfypdab&et=1103802198539&s=1070&e=001asY0NzQcWpdIUREmHyoawDRcfEA8XtkRzSF_xvkno71T8XJ4P1
GhTD96wT74NuJ3qFeVJsQ2ssYC3mSRPeTYLMj2nouPVvwspA7pMHY3ca1JKNHkS1jCDD1Jh_ct13
UesCXdB_7BIvzcYF3-pItClHes3WynmGZLrgkvb0Kaw7EFJY50sv5nuVMxJ7dgPfp7dCShd4Eojl
1P0Yo-ta6ZKQ==)