[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Newbie Show Buyers

  • From: "Deena Canals" <dc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 22:14:34 -0500

I did not use any criteria to buy my first (only) show dog.  I fell into it
backwards.

We were looking to get a brother/sister to a dog we lost.  We specifically
wanted a relative of Big Windsors. (Sad story, we were stupid, he paid the
price.)

The breeders (BYB) weren't going to have any more litters.  They pointed us
to the breeder they got their pups from.  We went there.  She had a
littermate sister to Big Windsor but wouldn't sell her.  She had a litter
due that would be cousins.  That was as close as we could get so we put a
deposit on one.  She convinced us to go for one of the show puppies she had
in the litter.

Poor Little Wins career would be better off IF showing him had been our
goal, but he is daddy's baby first and shows second.  It is time for me to
get serious about this show stuff.

He's three now, begining to mature.  Took the open class at Orlando today
over four other dogs.  I believe he went reserve instead of WD probably
because of his lacidasial attitude.  I'll take the blame for that.  It's
time for some real ring training and lots of road work.  I've only been
showing to have fun, I don't get over excited about it, there fore he
doesn't either.  I got excited today when they pointed to him.  It's nice to
beat some obviously nice dogs.

Deena
www.webabout.com