[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Newbie Show Buyers

  • From: "RivendellP" <rivendellp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <willowlakegsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 09:35:39 -0700

Newbie Show Buyers

 Just curious as to the criteria that a person new to showing uses to buy a
Show puppy?...Do you buy from a breeder that has finished many animals? Do
you buy because you like the looks of  someones website? Do you check
credentials?....Do you buy from a "friend of a friend"?..
Sherry
Willowlake Kennels

Paul opines...

Could or should be all of the above. I would also add you should be in tune
with the same style of dog as the breeder you consider. You should also
spend enough time getting to know that breeder so you feel comfortable
enough to ask any question that might concern you. And don't be afraid to
ask. I harken back to the old quote from professional golfer Slamming Sammy
Snead who; when asked about playing golf with friends for fun, said "I
wouldn't give my mother a stroke a hole!" His point being if you are doing
anything competitive, do it well and know who you are playing with.

I think you should also do everything with a contract that is agreeable to
both parties. That way nothing can be left to chance. When we enter in to a
sale or a co-ownership, we send a proposed contract and have the prospective
buyer to add or change any part that may concern them. That way there is no
doubt and you start off your relationship with everyone on the same page and
no surprises.

JMO...as always...

Paul