[ SHOWGSD-L ] New Book

  • From: "MissHereford" <MissHereford@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 18:15:17 -0600

As you read this keep in mind Susan Orlean was paid $1.25 million by Little
Brown books to write the story of Rin Tin Tin. How Simon and Schuster (the
actual publisher) became involved I do not know. I do know she did not pay
us any money for the story of Rin Tin Tin.

In my opinion I would say that Susan Orlean is certainly not the friend of
the GSD, Lee Duncan or Rin Tin Tin. Her book and ancillary interviews have
already caused damage to the breed as illustrated in the article highlighted
in the New York Times (with the link earlier in this thread).

Her facts in many areas are incorrect - for example lee Duncan was VERY
involved with the GSD, in fact he was co-owner of Ch. Tasso of Villa Marina
and owner of Ch. Flash of LaSalle and was inducted into the GSDCA Hall of
Fame - Orlean portrays him as only being interested in the "One" dog, the
first Rin Tin Tin. Longtime GSDCA member Bob Penny verified that fact to me
in an interview I did with him at the 1999 National in Del Mar.

More of Orlean's facts are wrong in that she says Duncan's Rin Tin Tin III
was not related to the first Rin Tin Tin when in fact he was sired by Junior
who was the son of the first Rin Tin Tin. Duncan's papers prove this over
and over again. Duncan did not have registration papers on the first Rin Tin
Tin, but he did have puppies. Another error about those puppies is that
Orlean said he had 44 puppies in his lifetime - there were more l8itters
than that produced by the dog.

Orlean continues her bad facts in saying that all GSD puppies are born
"blind." - well just because their eyes are not open does not mean they are
blind (a GSD exhibitor brought that error to my attention).

Orlean fails to report that Duncan's daughter Carolyn was not interested in
continuing the line of dogs and that is how/why my Grandmother carried on
the lineage. According to Bob Penny in the 1999 interview, Carolyn was more
interested in the horses than the dogs. In fact in 2005 Carolyn's daughter,
Kinberlee, personally told me that her mother resented lee for spending so
much time with the Rin dogs.

Another part of the book that I detest is the way Orlean relayed her stories
about me, my dogs and my kennel. She first contacted me in July 2003 about
meeting with me and writing a book about Rin Tin Tin. I graciously invited
her to my home, she came on three occasions and I provided her with correct
data and information. It was in 2005 that after reading an interview she had
done with Robert Burnbaum (Identity Theory) that I contacted her expressing
my dissatisfaction with the incorrect and inaccurate information she has
released in the interview. People from the Lassie Fan Club also contacted
her for the same reasons. From that time on Orlean was just not interested
in discussing anything Rin Tin Tin with me. Quite frankly I thought after
all those years that she had given up on the book project.

Then I read the book is to be released. Still no word from Orlean - finally
I see an advance copy on EBay and buy it. When I scanned through it (I still
have not read it all and don't really want to) I nearly had a stroke - it
was so filled with lies, inaccurate facts and wrongs it was unbelieveable.
For example, in her missive she said I was living in my 1984 El Dorado
Biaritz  - which is just ridiculous. I don't ever recall even sitting in the
back seat of that car. The car was a classic collectors car we used in
parades when Rin made appearances across the country. We would either have
it shipped to the destination or take in on a trailer with a U-Haul Truck.
Her take on that was terrible.

And so it went with her take on every detail about me. There are plenty of
you who know me personally and know I am not the person Orlean portrayed in
that book.

If you want the TRUE story of Rin Tin Tin, my book is at the publisher now
and will soon be available on Amazon.com - the title is "Rin Tin Tin The
Lineage and Legacy."

So, If I were going to spend $20 on a book, it would NOT be Orlean's book
that has no pictures in it and doesn't even feature a REAL Rin dog on the
cover even though I sent her dozens of photos - they chose a "stock" photo
for the cover - unbelievable.

Daphne