[ SHOWGSD-L ] Need help with a medical issue!

  • From: <blackoakdogs@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 23:38:22 -0500

Hi all, I'm hoping someone else has heard of this or gone through it. My aunt
has a 2 1/2yr old male shepherd who was perfectly healthy up until about 6-8
weeks ago when he started not eating and gradually losing weight. She didn't
think too much of it as he has a history of doing this ocasionally. However he
continued to get worse and and she finally brought him to the vet this monday.
After many xrays and blood tests and doing a lung needle drainage and getting
almost 3 cups of fluid out of his lungs, the vet announced that he probably had
spleen cancer but would do an ultrasound on him today.

Results of the ultrasound actually revealed a ruptured thoracic duct. He is
scheduled to be seen by a surgeon tomorrow who is board certified to do this
type of surgery as it is very close to being like open heart surgery. They have
already warned my aunt that the surgery will be 5K to 15K! And he has only a
50-50 chance of surviving the surgery and even less chance of having quality of
life or having the same thing happen again at a later date. Needless to say,
she does not have this kind of money, especially when the outcome is so
doubtful.

So my question is this. Have any of the listers out there ever had a dog suffer
this kind of injury, and what was the outcome? My aunt is distraught about
thinking that this may come down to money. Has anyone had a dog survive this?
How much was the surgery etc?

The vet says this sort of injury is often seen in a hit by car type trauma, but
this dog was not involved in any incident. The only thing that may have
happened was that she was playng ball with him at the local baseball park and
he chased the ball and crashed into the backstop but didn't even slow down. I
can't imagine that was the cause of this freak thing. This dog is in the prime
of life and has been perfectly healthy until now. We are told he will not live
more than a week without the surgery.

Margaret
Corsair GSD