[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Need help with a medical issue!

  • From: "Susan Madlung" <stormygsd@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <blackoakdogs@xxxxxxx>, <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 22:18:26 -0700

What is the cause of Chylethorax? How is it treated? What ...
Sent to Dog Experts July 27 11:34 AM
What is the cause of Chylethorax? How is it treated? What is the prognosis?
Is it a genetic condition? How often does it occur in an 18 month old dog?
If trauma can cause condition,what kind of trauma?
Edited by Customer (name blocked for privacy) on July 27 2006 at 11:40 AM

Customer (name blocked for privacy)
Answer
July 27 3:13 PM (3 hours and 38 minutes and 46 seconds later)

ACCEPTED
Chylothorax refers to the leakage of lymphatic fluid (chyle) into the chest
cavity, surrounding the lungs. The build- up of fluid interferes with the
ability of the lungs to inflate properly, leading to respiratory difficulty
and often, respiratory arrest. The presence of the fluid can also cause
scarring of the lungs and chest wall, as well as the formation of adhesions
(the lungs stick to the chest wall).
Any animal can be affected, at any age, and there does seem to be some sort
of inherited component to the disease as some of the Oriental breeds of
cats, as well as Shiba Inus and Afghan Hounds tend to be over-represented.
Shibas can develop the condition at an early age (less than 2 years), but
the majority of dogs are affected at middle age or later.
There are many causes for the condition, however the most common cause is
called idiopathic- which is a fancy way of saying the cause is unknown.
- Trauma, as you mentioned- not very common but can happen. Usually
something catastrophic like being hit by a car or falling from a great
height, can result in rupture of the thoracic duct (the tube that carries
lymphatic fluid from the head and neck back to the great vessels around the
heart).
- Heart disease- of many types, both acquired and congenital, including
heartworm disease, valvular dysfunction and anatomic abnormalities
- Cancer- any type that affects the heart, vessels, or structures nearby the
thoracic duct
-High blood pressure- a vast array of diseases can lead to this
-Lymphangiectasia- the lymphatic system becomes obstructed causing back-up
of lymph fluid and subsequent leakage secondary to increased pressure in the
lymphatic ducts.
-Infection
An ultrasound of the chest cavity is crucial in helping to determine the
cause of the chylothorax. It can rule out things like anatomical
abnormalities, heart disease, heartworm disease, and can detect the presence
of masses. Analysis of the fluid obtained from a chest tap may also point to
things like cancer or infection.
Treatment varies depending upon cause, if one can be determined. In severe
cases of respiratory difficulty a chest tube may be needed to constantly
draw off fluid. These animals would benefit greatly from surgery to ligate
(tie off) the thoracic duct to stop the leakage. This is a delicate
procedure and should only be performed by a skilled, board certified
veterinary surgeon. Patients with milder forms of disease may do ok with
period chest taps to drain fluid, low fat diets (to decrease production of
chyle), and restricted activity. Many idiopathic forms of the disease
resolve on their own, but it can take up to several months.

http://dog.justanswer.com/questions/awlg-cause-chylethorax-treated
http://www.vet.uga.edu/vpp/clerk/Rockwell/index.php

Sue (not Stormy) Madlung
Shadowacre German Shepherds