[ SHOWGSD-L ] Nationals & "the illusion"....

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <inflight@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 15:42:02 -0800

Kathaleen is RIGHT ON.........except......those that really ARE "Breeders"  in
every sense of
the word as I know Kathaleen is......stick with their ideals and the dogs they
really think  will
really be the best for their goal and vision of the German Shepherd Dog.....and
do no harm.
<G>
Part of exactly what Kathaleen has described is that we have for the most part
become
exhibitors ( and sadly,  judges ....and breeders )   who are totally dependant
upon handlers
to make mediocre dogs look like great dogs with... bigger bells,  more noise,
speed, tighter
leashes, digging in and flying to give the illusion of topline, and rear
drive......with a handler
at the helm presenting an  illusion to the fancy and the judges with a host of
doublers.
As long as many continue to be taken in by this illusion of movement and
outline,  we will
never get over the hurdle of being at the mercy of judges that go for the
"presentation"  and
handlers that promote the sheer volume of output of some lines and dogs that go
around
the ring like a 'wind up toy.'
We dig our own hole..........
As it is.......we continue down into this vortex of sheer presentation and not
correct solid GSD
movement that is athletic and powerful with the ability to turn, stop, gait
slow and accelerate
with powerful transmission  while moving smoothly with agility and athleticism
as they herd,
guide, swim.....leap over tall  buildings......<G>.....AND  have goreous heads,
good feed and
pasterns, correct powerful follow  through and that "look"  when just
standing.....with strong
"bridges"....the back that transmits that power with no dips or roaches to
hide...... or nicks
that drop at the wither
NOW we need  'camps'   or as Kathleen says  "cartels" ......professional
doublers.... many
'set hand clappers'  ......and we don't seem to really want to see a good
German Shepherd Dog
presented entirely on a loose leash............just gaiting............
Now where did I put that fire extinguisher..............<G>

Carolyn    marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.Marhaven.com