[ SHOWGSD-L ] FW: Nationals

  • From: "Kathaleen Strong" <inflight@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 08:32:11 -0800

-----Original Message-----
From: Kathaleen Strong [mailto:inflight@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2008 3:31 AM
To: 'zanebgsd@xxxxxxxxx'
Subject: RE: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Nationals

Zane:

You're new to the game, and while I admire your spunk to make your opinion
known -- I'd like to point out we have breeders who are focusing on several
things -- SIDEGAIT is not one of them.  I'm not trying to bust your chops
here -- but if the breeders were focusing on sidegait -- we wouldn't have
the degradation of movement we are seeing in the ring today.

I'd say we have breeders focusing on (tongue in cheek):

1) What my handler tells me will win?
2) How can I practice the popular "target practice" method of breeding as
many litters as I can to produce 5-6 decent quality puppies so I can tout my
stud dog as a "top producer of "winners""?
3) What my handler/mentor tells me I should breed to so I can produce a
winner?
4) If my handler/mentor tells me it's a good one and I write a check, I'll
get a champion
5) Well my good athletic moving dogs are being defeated by what these "top
producers" are producing, I better breed to them, because, I want a winner!
6) If they say it on the list that it's a top producer, it must be!  Wow,
I've never seen a dog with such a poor shoulder, bad croup, bad back --
hmmm... but this dog is a top producer! He must be a second-coming... if he
can be a top producer and overcome these structural issues!

What we have is... breeders who are not being independent, free thinking
individuals.  Instead we have a majority of breeders following the edicts of
a handful of handlers or cartels.  Of course this is not "every" breeder out
there, but those free thinking individuals are becoming few and far between.

I do agree with you, the headpieces on the dogs is not as good as it has
been in years gone by.

Kathaleen