[ SHOWGSD-L ] NOT a big deal...

  • From: pruett@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 14:35:56 +0000

>OF COURSE you have the pups examined; it protects you as well as the new
>owner, but how on earth can someone "miss" missing testicles and a hernia?
>What
>about things they can't see/hear/feel?  Let's see...a heart murmur,  mega....

>Now, to operate on the youngster now or wait...who knows?  All I know  is
>that these new puppy owners have a mess on their hands.  It's one thing  to
>have
>a situation you disclose, write in your contract/guarantee/warranty, but  to
>not know and sell the puppy and have to learn from THEIR VET....sad....and
>inexcusable really.

I always get my puppies examined by my vet before they go to new homes; however,
that has not protected me from incompetent, possibly dishonest vets over the
years.  I always disclose, in writing, an umbilical hernia or undescended
testicles.  Neither of those conditions renders a puppy unfit for sale.  I've
never had a puppy whose hernia had to be repaired.  Inevitably, they close on
their own without a problem.  A hernia would have to be pretty darn big to
warrant surgery at 8 weeks of old to close.  I always tell folks that it can be
closed when they are spayed or neutered if it is still an issue (and it never
has been).  Neutering a male with undescended testicles is more of an issue
than neutering one whose testicles are down, but no more of an issue than
spaying a bitch puppy, in my opinion.  I do let people know that.  At 8 weeks,
though, I never give up on testicles.  They can descend later, and have, in my
experience.  And, they may actually be descended but the puppy pulls them up
and down at will.  I've had that happen on several occassions

Laurie Pruett