[ SHOWGSD-L ] NEED HELP WITH LITTER

  • From: Ann Mariano <brittaleahnasa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 21:55:46 -0700 (PDT)

Hi.

Last Fridaynight/Sat morning, I had a litter of 11, one
died leaving 10.   All about a 1lb, girls relatively
smaller than boys.  Seemed normal since mom had always had
smaller pups.  Switched pups off and on, everything seemed
fine
Tuesday morning, day 3/4 came in saw #1 girl laying limp.
Started rubbing her, trying to get her to suck finger, she
sucked once, got in car ran to vet..DOA...vet said she
loooked normal, maybe she was under-developed in lungs,
just take it as having a large litter
Came home and checked 2 sisters who were same size, sister
#2 weak, but could suck finger, could not nurse, sister #3
seemed a little weak got her to nurse, took girl #2 two to
vet, vet said she looked normal, temp a little low, told me
to take her hoome warm her up and bottlefeed her, and keep
trying to get her to nurse.
10:30 girl #2 seemed to be getting worse despite me working
with her for 2 hours.  Called vet, told to bring her in amd
they will give her fluids.  Brought her in DOA again.  Told
again, this just happens with large litters.  Said to
supplement sister #3, give her Nutra Cal, sent me home with
fluids to give under the skin.  Spent next 24 hours
suppplementing, nursing her on mom with my help, nutra cal,
giving fluids.  Next day she was nursing on her own, still
suppplementinng "just in case"
Wednesday morning, girl #3 seems to be doing better.  NEW
ONE Boy #1 not nursing, dehydrated, same story all over
again.  Started giving him the same treatement.   he
Seeemed to get better then night came. he is pooping
water..  Called friends, thought there may be a bacteria
infection.  Spent night feeding every 1 1/2-2 hours since
calling emergency vet got response I am doing what they
would do.
Thursday called vet in m orning asked for meds.  Gave
Cleamdrixil said only give to him since sister #3 is
nursing, and active now.  Give him meds.  NEW ONE AGAIN Boy
#2 starts going downhill, too weak to nurse, smae story.
Gave him meds, gave same tretement in response, hand
feeding every 1 1/-3 hours since he is to weak to nurse,
fluids under the skin, nutra cal.

Midnight Thursday, Boy #2 is FINALLY nursing on mom
YEAH!!!!! I will keep giving him meds, and supplementing
him, and any pup who looks a little thin/weak since now I
am getting very worried.

Problem is Boy #1 has not improved, in some ways worse
despite gaining weight, and having full belly.  He keeps
moaning, it started earlier today.  I thought maybe he had
a belly ache since his belly loooked very full.  Started
cutting back on food.  He can not eat from a bottle.  Have
to feed him with an eye dropper.  Sucking is very very
weak.  Doessn't move arms/legs much.  But he is swallowing
food, when I give it by eye dropper.  His belly is full.
Weight is good, no longer dehydrated.  Seems bloated maybe?
 Past 5-6 hours, movement has been limited.  Screams when I
pick him up.  Poop which was water, now looks like
mustard???  Any one ever experience ANYTHING like this?
Any answers?  Things I have not tried?  Any idea what
has/could/is happening here?

Thankfully, other 4 brothers seem fine, 2 girls that are
left seem to be keeping up in getting food/activity despite
being just 1 lb, compared to most of their brothers being
much bigger.  I Think I turned around boy #2, so 5 boys
seem like there is hope.  But boy #1 from earlier just is
not right.  Any help/suggesstions/thoughts appreciated.

http://mail.yahoo.com