[ SHOWGSD-L ] My philosophy...

  • From: "Laurie Pruett" <pruett@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 10:06:38 -0400

>...if someone cannot afford to take their dogs to a vet on a
>regular basis for checkups, stool and blood testing, much less c-sections,
>they should not be bre/eding dogs. The tail docking and dew claw removal laws
>are reasonable. If you can't afford a vet, don't breed -- period. And, if a
>person is living so close to the vest that they can't afford to keep their
>dogs in optimal health, get out.

I do as much of the routine "vet care" as I can - including fecals, wormings,
SNAP tests for heartworm and tick-bourne diseases, dew claw removal,
administering fluids, vaccines, etc.  I do the routine things so that money is
always available for the things I cannot do - like the c-sections, the
emergency surgery for a pyo or a case of bloat, the UAP that needs to be
repaired before I GIVE that puppy to a good home, the PDA on an adorable
sheltie puppy that won't survive long-term without a heart repair, etc.

I have the educational background (B.S. in animal science), the experience
(worked as a vet tech and many many years as a hobby breeder), and the common
sense to know when I can effectively help an animal and when I need veterinary
help.  Often, though, it's a partnership between me and my vet.  My vet knows I
know that I'm doing - respects me and my knowledge (as I do his) and works with
me to help me provide care to my animals in a way that is cost effective for me
and healthy for my animals.

I will fight tooth and nail against any legislation that limits my rights to do
all of the above.  I refuse to have my hands tied because there are folks out
there that don't do things as they should.  There are laws on the books now,
IMO, that address those issues already if they were only enforced.  To me, it's
analogous to saying no one can have a drivers license because some people abuse
that right by disobeying the law (driving drunk, speeding, etc.).

As always, this is JMO...

Laurie Pruett