[ SHOWGSD-L ] Musings of a Board member - Long

  • From: DaniaKarloff@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 15:27:32 EDT

I started preparing for this board meeting a couple of weeks  ago.  I bought
my plane ticket and  as instructed by our club secretary, I contacted the
transport service in  Ogden and made arrangements for them  to pick me up at
the
Salt Lake City  Airport.  I prepared my Membership  Committee quarterly report
and printed copies the day before the trip â?? enough  to pass around to
visiting GSDCA members in  Utah and enough to give to board  members that
forgot to
print the e-mail version I sent.  I had everything under controlâ?¦.. I
thought.
The trip started in earnest at 5:00am on Friday.  I got up, showered,
recorded a new voice message for my office to tell  all I was unavailable on
Friday
and packed my suitcase.  I was proud of myself when my light  packing yielded
only one small carry on suitcase which had clean clothes,  toiletries, printed
reports and some reading material to entertain myself on the  long trip â??
even
my laptop fitted inside suitcase.  I got hubby to take me to the airport at
7:00am and after some morning traffic,  got there in time to have a cup of
coffee before going through security.  We boarded the plane and it was a
completely full flight â?? there were no empty bins for my carry on.  The
Flight
Attendant took my small  suitcase and said she would put it in the luggage
compartment â?? Mistake #1.
I got to Detroit and  only had 45 minutes for the connection to Salt Lake
City.  I  arrived on Gate 74 and was departing at Gate 7 â??a good mile and a
half
 away.  I decided this was good  exercise and briskly walked to the other end
to board my plane.  Hellâ?¦. I was exhausted when I got  there.
Both flights were uneventful and we arrived to  Salt Lake City at the
scheduled  1:45pm time.  I was happy to see Leon Breault waiting  for his
luggage,
together with the transport service person.  No sight of my carry-on in the
baggage  carousel.  I went to the Northwest  counter â?? long wait there â?? no
luggage.  The transport service had several board members waiting already and
they
did not want to miss the scheduled 3:30pm trip to view the potential national
show site in  Ogden.  The driver reassured me, they would have  someone pick
me up in 30 minutes.  I  waitedâ?¦.  I finally got to talk to  the Northwest
rep
who informed me my suitcase was still in  Detroit â?? it seemed that the Flight
 Attendant in Norfolk mis-marked my  luggage and printed STL for St Louis
instead of SLC for Salt Lake  City.  However, they reassured me they expected a
flight from  Detroit early that evening and they  would get it to me by 7:00pm
at the  latest.  It was then 2:30pm and I was starving â?? paid $3 for a
vending machine large pretzel and it was frozen solid â?? I threw it away.  I
was
still starving.
Mistake #2 - The transport services to the proposed Ogden National  show site
did not pick me up until 4:00pm and I got to it when the rest of the board
members  were already leaving.  I went with  the group back to the hotel where
we had 45 minutes before the meeting was to  start â?? I was still starving and
had but a few minutes to shove down whatever  they had in their restaurant.
Meeting ended somewhere around  9:30pm and still no suitcase, no  clothes, no
make up and no computer.  I went to bed.
After that, it all went downhill â?? my suitcase traveled all over  the Midwest
 and did not make it  back to Ogden until Sunday at 6:00am, just in time for
me to change into clean  clothes and go back to the airport.  I wore the same
clothes for three days and my clothes were a bit ripe and  crumpled after 3
days â?? never mind that I wore no make up and hair was a bit on  the wild
side.
All in all, it was a good meeting.  In my area of Membership Committee, we
had a lively discussion about ways to retain members, particularly new members
that join and leave after one single year of membership.  My committee and I
have decided to  personally contact each new member to establish some kind of
rapport, offer  mentorship and a friendly contact that will help them find
whatever resources or  areas of interest theyâ??d seek.  We  discussed what
benefits are currently available to members and the possibility  of offering
reduced
prices â?? for members only â?? in show entries, dinners,  products, etc.
There
are many  logistics to be investigated but I was happy to see the whole board
providing  some very good ideas and thinking of ways to promote our Club   I
am also very fortunate to have a  great committee that is very â??membershipâ??
focused and willing to work â?? it will  take significant time to personally
contact each new member and establish that  initial rapport we are seeking.
While I was unable to see the proposed national show site in  Utah, I heard
some very positive  comments regarding the arena.  Many  members of the Salt L
ake City GSDC were present at the meeting - it is always  rewarding to see the
local club well represented.  Ed Hill, aka Flower Boy, was there  supporting a
Salt Lake City National â?? Ed and I ended up at the same table for  the
Saturday dinner and I think we got carried away telling old stories of when  we
were
young and crazy.  Mistake #3.  I am afraid I talked too much and he may try
to black-mail me.    So... no matter what you hear  from himâ?¦. It is not
trueâ?¦
.. Hehehehhehehehee
I wrote all of the above while I sat at the  Detroit airport waiting for my
flight home.  The original four hour  lay over in Detroit (coming from Salt
Lake  City) got extended to six and a half hours because  of snow.  I got home
at 1:30am.  It was a 17 hours travel day.  UGHHHHHH
I am back at work today and thinking that I should have stayed  home to rest
from my Board Meeting adventuresâ?¦..  It is a good thing we only have four of
these meetings per year â?? I donâ??t think I could afford more than  that.
Dania â?? A very Tired Board  Member