[ SHOWGSD-L ] Memorable K9 stories-long

  • From: GrnRam415@xxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 15:21:40 EST

I have enjoyed reading the stories of all your dogs, past and present.  I
know many of them bring back bittersweet memories.  This is such an appropriate
thread for this holiday season.
My favorite GSD memory is of Treasure.  My rescue GSD.  When I took him in,
he was a mess.  Abused, malnourished, dehydrated and could barely walk.  His
ears never came up and he sure isn't anyone's idea of the GSD standard.  But,
he
is a beautiful dog and really is a Treasure.  And, he is now 12 years old.

Several years ago, when I was a Sergeant at a South Central division of LAPD,
I used to bring him to work every Sun.  Sundays were always quiet and he
loved the officers and the records clerks and the employees at the Hostess
bakery
next door, lol!

One particular Sunday, we got to work to find out the Watch Commander called
in sick.  So, I was the next assigned WC.  About an hour into our shift,a "Hot
Prowl" burglary call came out.  A "Hot Prowl" is when bad guys burgle a house
while people are inside.  A very dangerous situation.  Officers responded
just as the bad guys ran out of the house.  One suspect was caught immediately.

The officers set up a perimeter and called the K9 unit to search for the other
guy.  As the Watch Commander, it was my duty to respond.  I grabbed Treasure,
we jumped into a squad car and went to the scene.  Shortly after arriving, we
found out the K9 unit had a 2 hour response time.  It was Sunday, afterall.

In the meantime, Treasure started getting very excited.  He was barking and
trying to get out of the car.  This was my "wouldn't hurt a fly" therapy dog.
He must have picked up on the fear scent and the officer's adrenaline.  One of
the officers got the idea to go on the PA system and call the suspect out.
With Treasure barking in the background, the officer said "We have the dog
here.  It is your last chance to give up before we let him loose"  Within
minutes,
the suspect jumped out of a tree and turned himself over to us.  Treasure
caught his first and only bad guy and received a commendation for his work,
lol!

Treasure was the station hero and we sure learned to LOOK UP when we were at
crime scenes, lol!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE AND GIVE THOSE FURKIDS A BIG HUG.  They may be your
next story.

Laura Thomas
CA
www.treasureranchgsds.com