[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Megaesphagus....NOT hereditary???

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: brittaleahnasa@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, jokaysedona@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 19:23:31 EDT

I was always told it was too and from the research I have done, it  appears
to be.

It is not a simple recessive, which can make it hard to figure, but certain
 lines do produce it. I have 2 males that did not produce it in multiple
large  litters when bred to bitches who had previously produced it.  Which
leads  to the question....does it have to be on both sides for a puppy to be
affected.  I was told that it had to be...but I can't find a definitive
answer.

Tough thing to know is...in the litters that had it, are the siblings
carriers????  I would tend to think they can be. I had it once w/ a  co-owned
bitch bred to outside lines...heartbreaking....and since then I have  done my
best to avoid breeding a bitch or to a dog who came from a litter that  had
mega issues.  Maybe that's too cautious on my part but so be it.

Sorry you are going through this.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC

In a message dated 6/26/2010 7:07:43 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
brittaleahnasa@xxxxxxxxx writes:

According to what I have read congential megaesophagus is hereditary
http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/dog-enlarged-esophagus-megaesophagus

I  would like to know the answer to this since I just got dealing with
this  myself with several puppies, and it is devestating since this is
something I  have never had beforein my 10 years of breeding.

Ann Marie
www.amarigsd.com
Home of
Ch Fairway's Leah v Nadelwald TC ROM OFA
Ch Amari's Beware of Foxy Roxy CGC TC OFA
Amari's Elizabeth Taylor  (Major pointed/Best in Show Bred-By winner)
Breeder/Owner of
R/Best in  Futurity Ch Amari's Ava Gardner TC OFA
Ch Amari's Bandit of Broadcreek OFA  (Multiple Group Placer)
Amari's Blissfull Jazz CGC TDI (Major pointed)
Amari's Cinderella von Hornberger (Ch pointed)
Amari's Chances Are (Ch  pointed)
Amari's Ella Enchanted (Ch pointed @ 7 months/Major Reserve @ 11  months)