[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Megaesophagus, or, Sh** Happens

  • From: "Ruth Hartridge" <rhartrid@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <psharp212@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 18:12:01 -0500

Paula, I have been breeding dogs for some 40 years or so , Shelties and
German shepherds . In all that time I have only had 1 pup with megs which we
didn't find out till he was about 3 months old . He died on his own , I
replaced that pup , and I beleve you are absolutely RIGHT!

From: lindenhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx (Lindenhill German Shepherds)
To: Amytortoise@xxxxxxx, Windwalkergsds@xxxxxx, psharp212@xxxxxxx,
showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
CC: Amytortoise@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Megaesophagus, or, Sh** Happens
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2006 21:08:12 +0000

Please don't lump all vets together with generaltiies, or breeders for that
matter..

If youv'e done your homework and chosen an experienced vet(one that has
handled a large breeder base) there will not jump to the quick solution,
they are very toughtful and explore all options.
Breeders are quite aware of the meg. issue. Most believe as we do that it is
a simple resessive. To eliminate the issue from your program, first you must
accept that you have it and breed for several generations to eliminate it.
And of course you must ask the stud owners(hopefully the stud has a lengthy
track record) if they have ever produced the problem. I have found all to be
honest when asked this question.. As with all recessives, it will take
several generations, and the luck of selection to fully eliminate the issue.
We intend to use dogs that are non carriers to do so with any bitch that is
a known or suspected carrier.

This issue must of course be taken in consideration with all others that we
must remain cognicent of when selecting mates for the future of your
breeding progeam. Some times we fail in these selectsions, and need to back
step or side step to eliminate them.
I for one salute all breeders who strive, go through the heart wrenching
hardships and have earned our respect on there journey to a better german
shepherd.

From: Amytortoise@xxxxxxx
 > You are so right Jamie. The vets do not want to be bothered with it.
Their