[ SHOWGSD-L ] Maryland Federation needs letters, faxes

  • From: stormy435 <stormy435@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 09:25:17 -0800

FWD from Maryland Federation:
HB 495 INTRODUCED!  Hearing scheduled this THURSDAY, Feb 12!  Call committee
today, plan on attend 2/12!

Dear

There is now no doubt. We are in for the biggest challenge to date to our
hobby, our sport, and the activities we enjoy with our dogs.  Apparently, on
February 4th, HB 495, the so-called "puppy mill" bill, was introduced in the
Maryland House of Delegates.  It is obviously being fast tracked and probably
at the encouragement of the national humane organizations who are hell-bent on
throwing their full force and strength into killing the dog fancy once and for
all.

This bill is exactly the same as SB 318, so the arguments against it are the
same as well.  If passed, the law would impose unrealistic and unnecessary
space and exercise requirements on anyone with "custody of" ten or more intact
dogs over four months of age.  This bill would impact dog show participants,
hobbyists, handlers, law enforcement dog breeders, and service dog breeders.

1.   HB 495 strictly prohibits ownership, custody or control of more than 50
"breeding" (intact) dogs.

2.  Anyone with "custody" of more than 10 "breeding" dogs older than four
months of age would be subject to restrictions concerning

a.      housing

b.      enclosures

c.      and mandates a minimum amount of time the dog must spend outside the
enclosure being walked (2 hours a day total).

A copy of the bill, suggested talking points and contact information for the
sponsor, co-sponsors, and committee members are linked.  For details, visit the
MDF website.

Protect your hobby. We only have THREE DAYS to do this!  Please do THREE things
TODAY:

1.  Contact the sponsors and committee members with a polite but firm message
of opposition (talking points are attached),

2.  Plan to attend and/or testify in Annapolis against HB 495 on February 12,
1pm.  You are requested to submit ten copies of your testimony and you can do
so either in person or by mail,

3.  Tell anyone who would be impacted by HB 495 to do the same.  Use the link
below to forward this e-lert to everyone you know, and please cross post this
wherever concerned dog owners will read it.

Then drop a line to the Maryland Dog Federation at
marylanddogfederation@xxxxxxxxxx

The MDF will be hosting a conference call on Wednesday February 11, at 7:30 pm,
the day before the hearing.  The purpose of the conference call is to touch
base with you, provide last minute details, plans for the legislative session
going forward.  We encourage all dog clubs to designate a representative or two
to participate in this conference call as well as attend the hearing on the
11th.  The call will be recorded and made available via web access for a
limited time.   To participate on the conference call on the 11th, just before
7:30, simply call (218) 339-2500 then when prompted, enter the access code
352952 and press the pound (#) key.  The only cost to the caller is the
long-distance charges you'd incur on a "regular" call.  If anyone has any
questions prior to the 2/11 conference call, please feel free to contact the
federation.. The Federation stands ready to work together with concerned
organizations and individuals.

Please plan to attend in Annapolis on February 12th to protect your dogs and
your lifestyle.

Judiciary Committee

House Office Building

6 Bladen Street, 101

Annapolis, MD 21401-1912

410-841-3488 Annapolis/Baltimore or 301-858-3488 Washington, D.C.)

JOSEPH F. VALLARIO, JR.  Chair, House Judiciary Committee

Democrat, District 27A, Calvert & Prince George's Counties

House Office Building, Room 101

6 Bladen St., Annapolis, MD 21401

(410) 841-3488, (301) 858-3488

1-800-492-7122, ext. 3488 (toll free)

e-mail: joseph.vallario@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

fax: (410) 841-3850, (301) 858-3850

SAMUEL I. (SANDY) ROSENBERG   Vice Chair

Democrat, District 41, Baltimore City

House Office Building, Room 101

6 Bladen St., Annapolis, MD 21401

(410) 841-3297, (301) 858-3297

1-800-492-7122, ext. 3297 (toll free)

e-mail: samuel.rosenberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

fax: (410) 841-3179, (301) 858-3179

MICHAEL D. SMIGIEL, SR.

Republican, District 36, Caroline, Cecil, Kent & Queen Anne's Counties

House Office Building, Room 323

6 Bladen St., Annapolis, MD 21401

(410) 841-3555, (301) 858-3555

1-800-492-7122, ext. 3555 (toll free)

e-mail: michael.smigiel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

fax: (410) 841-3434, (301) 858-3434

CURTIS STOVALL (CURT) ANDERSON

Democrat, District 43, Baltimore City

House Office Building, Room 314

6 Bladen St., Annapolis, MD 21401

(410) 841-3291, (301) 858-3291

1-800-492-7122, ext. 3291 (toll free)

e-mail: curt.anderson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

BENJAMIN S. BARNES

Democrat, District 21, Anne Arundel & Prince George's Counties

House Office Building, Room 209

6 Bladen St., Annapolis, MD 21401

(410) 841-3046, (301) 858-3046

1-800-492-7122, ext. 3046 (toll free)

e-mail: ben.barnes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

fax: (410) 841-3346, (301) 858-3346

JILL P. CARTER

Democrat, District 41, Baltimore City

House Office Building, Room 317

6 Bladen St., Annapolis, MD 21401

(410) 841-3283, (301) 858-3283

1-800-492-7122, ext. 3283 (toll free)

e-mail: jill.carter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

fax: (410) 841-3251, (301) 858-3251

FRANK M. CONAWAY, JR.

Democrat, District 40, Baltimore City

House Office Building, Room 315

6 Bladen St., Annapolis, MD 21401

(410) 841-3189, (301) 858-3189

1-800-492-7122, ext. 3189 (toll free)

e-mail: frank.conaway@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

KATHLEEN M. DUMAIS

Democrat, District 15, Montgomery County

House Office Building, Room 350

6 Bladen St., Annapolis, MD 21401

(410) 841-3052, (301) 858-3052

1-800-492-7122, ext. 3052 (toll free)

e-mail: kathleen.dumais@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

fax: (410) 841-3219, (301) 858-3219

DON H. DWYER, JR.

Republican, District 31, Anne Arundel County

House Office Building, Room 154

6 Bladen St., Annapolis, MD 21401

(410) 841-3047, (301) 858-3047

1-800-492-7122, ext. 3047 (toll free)

e-mail: don.dwyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

fax: (410) 841-3779, (301) 858-3779

WILLIAM J. FRANK

Republican, District 42, Baltimore County

House Office Building, Room 213

6 Bladen St., Annapolis, MD 21401

(410) 841-3793, (301) 858-3793

1-800-492-7122, ext. 3793 (toll free)

e-mail: william.frank@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

fax: (410) 841-3311, (301) 858-3311

J. B. JENNINGS

Republican, District 7, Baltimore & Harford Counties

House Office Building, Room 319

6 Bladen St., Annapolis, MD 21401

(410) 841-3698, (301) 858-3698

1-800-492-7122, ext. 3698 (toll free)

e-mail: jb.jennings@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

fax: (410) 841-3023, (301) 858-3023

KEVIN KELLY

Democrat, District 1B, Allegany County

House Office Building, Room 320

6 Bladen St., Annapolis, MD 21401

(410) 841-3404, (301) 858-3404

1-800-492-7122, ext. 3404 (toll free)

fax: (410) 841-3484, (301) 858-3484

BENJAMIN F. KRAMER

Democrat, District 19, Montgomery County

House Office Building, Room 226

6 Bladen St., Annapolis, MD 21401

(410) 841-3485, (301) 858-3485

1-800-492-7122, ext. 3485 (toll free)

e-mail: benjamin.kramer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

fax: (410) 841-3875, (301) 858-3875

SUSAN C. LEE

Democrat, District 16, Montgomery County

House Office Building, Room 414

6 Bladen St., Annapolis, MD 21401

(410) 841-3649, (301) 858-3649

1-800-492-7122, ext. 3649 (toll free)

e-mail: susan.lee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

fax: (410) 841-3026, (301) 858-3026

GERRON S. LEVI

Democrat, District 23A, Prince George's County

House Office Building, Room 210

6 Bladen St., Annapolis, MD 21401

(410) 841-3101, (301) 858-3101

1-800-492-7122, ext. 3101 (toll free)

e-mail: gerron.levi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

fax: (410) 841-3850, (301) 858-3850

SUSAN K. McCOMAS

Republican, District 35B, Harford County

House Office Building, Room 326

6 Bladen St., Annapolis, MD 21401

(410) 841-3272, (301) 858-3272

1-800-492-7122, ext. 3272 (toll free)

e-mail: susan.mccomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

fax: (410) 841-3202, (301) 858-3202

TONY McCONKEY

Republican, District 33A, Anne Arundel County

House Office Building, Room 157

6 Bladen St., Annapolis, MD 21401

(410) 841-3406, (301) 858-3406

1-800-492-7122, ext. 3406 (toll free)

e-mail: tony.mcconkey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

fax: (410) 841-3209, (301) 858-3209

VICTOR R. RAMIREZ

Democrat, District 47, Prince George's County

House Office Building, Room 415

6 Bladen St., Annapolis, MD 21401

(410) 841-3340, (301) 858-3340

1-800-492-7122, ext. 3340 (toll free)

e-mail: victor.ramirez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

fax: (410) 841-3239, (301) 858-3239

TODD L. SCHULER

Democrat, District 8, Baltimore County

House Office Building, Room 305

6 Bladen St., Annapolis, MD 21401

(410) 841-3526, (301) 848-3526

1-800-492-7122, ext. 3526 (toll free)

e-mail: todd.schuler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

fax: (410) 841-3034

LUIZ R. S. SIMMONS

Democrat, District 17, Montgomery County

House Office Building, Room 225

6 Bladen St., Annapolis, MD 21401

(410) 841-3037, (301) 858-3037

1-800-492-7122, ext. 3037 (toll free)

e-mail: luiz.simmons@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

fax: (410) 841-3003, (301) 858-3003

KRISELDA VALDERRAMA

Democrat, District 26, Prince George's County

House Office Building, Room 205

6 Bladen St., Annapolis, MD 21401

(410) 841-3210, (301) 858-3210

1-800-492-7122, ext. 3210 (toll free)

e-mail: kris.valderrama@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

fax: (410) 841-3525, (301) 858-3525

JEFFREY D. WALDSTREICHER

Democrat, District 18, Montgomery County

House Office Building, Room 221

6 Bladen St., Annapolis, MD 21401

(410) 841-3130, (301) 858-3130

1-800-492-7122, ext. 3130 (toll free)

e-mail: jeff.waldstreicher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

fax: (410) 841-3233, (301) 858-3233

Committee Staff: Douglas R. Nestor, Lauren C. Nestor, and Claire E. Rossmark

Dept. of Legislative Services

Assistant to Chair: Cindy Blackistone

About the Maryland Dog Federation

The Maryland Dog Federation (MDF) strongly advocates the ability to own, keep
and breed dogs in a reasonable, thoughtful, and humane manner. We believe that
responsible dog ownership is compatible with most living arrangements.  Dog
breeders of such a caliber provide an invaluable educational resource to the
community.  Many Maryland residents are deeply committed to their dogs and the
many sports of dogs, including dog showing and obedience, agility, and many
other wholesome activities that can be shared among generations.  All-breed and
specialty dog shows and events generate millions of dollars in entertainment
revenue in the state..

--
Stormy Hope
carpoc.org