[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Manditory Spay/Neuter Ordinance

  • From: "Cynthia Gialluca" <CYNECAGSD@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 12:11:45 -0500

I just replied to Ms. Adams and sent her the following.  I have taken only the
part that is the argument and suggestion and posted it here.
Placing fees on lisencing breeders has been tried before and has yet to work.
Some cities and states have gone this route and have lost their professional
breeders to cost while the puppy mills and backyard breeders thrive.  Think
seriously on it.  A puppy mill produces enough puppys for a profit to cover the
added expense of the fees.  To them its just a case of getting one or 2 more
female dogs and producing more litters to defray the costs of the fees imposed.
 They don't care about the condition of these females, just that they can
produce litters.  Backyard breeders can let their dogs have 2 or 3 litters and
still cover the cost of the added expense, that is IF you can find them before
they decide to have their female spayed.

While I do hope that there is a solution, I can not stress enough that the
current idea in question is NOT the way to go about it.  Your best defense
agaisnt those you cite as the targets of this proposed legislation is public
awareness and education.  AKC has tons of information, as do the National breed
clubs, that can be used to educate the public on what they should be looking at
when they go to purchase a dog as a companion.  Instead of proposing laws that
in the end will be counter productive to your stated goal, work with the breed
clubs in the area, and on the national level to come up with a valid solution
to the delima of unwanted pets.

Cindy Gialluca