[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Making sure I understand this...

  • From: Karen M. Carloni <kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 15:42:24 -0400

On Thu, 15 Aug 2013 13:33:54 -0400 (EDT),
barbara17236@xxxxxxx wrote:

>There are some breeds that do carry white patterns.

The 'S' gene series is made up of the 'spotting' genes.
Most GSDs are SS. This is the normal gene for breeds that
aren't supposed to have any white markings on them. 'SS'
dogs can either completely lack white, or they can express
very minor amounts of white, generally on the toes, face
(stars or  snips), tail tips or spots or even splotches on
chests. Some 'S' breeds fault these markings; others --
like Irish setters -- are commonly seen with small bits of
white on them (particularly on the chest) to no
consequence.

>I have a friend who has Boston Terriers and she speaks of white
>patterns.  They have a problem with white ears causing hearing loss,

The most extreme form of white spotting is the 'sw'
(extreme white piebald) which is responsible for placing a
white ground color over the entire body of the dog. The
'sw' gene is associated with deafness, unfortunately.
However, with it, we would not have Dalmatians and English
setters, just to name two breeds. I don't know exactly
what the genetics of the Boston terrier breed is, but I'm
guessing either the 'sp' (piebald) or 'sw' is involved.
'Piebald' is the milder form of 'sw', where the dog is
roughly 50% white. This form of the gene may also be
associated with deafness, but I'm not checked out on that,
so YMMV.  ;)

>but as I understand it, this does not occur in the GSD?

Probably correct, as "white" in GSDs is caused by the 'C'
(Color) gene series. In GSDs, white is not so much a
color, but the apparent absence of color since the gene
masks coat color that would otherwise be present.

Hope this is helpful (and not too terribly cornfusing)!!
--
Karen C.
Email: kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx