[ SHOWGSD-L ] I love this breed, and for good reason

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 15:50:55 -0400 (EDT)

Evan L.  Ginsburg
gsyrfund.com
Asgard German  Shepherds
_http://www.asgardgsd.com_ (http://www.asgardgsd.com/)
Where Type  Movement and Temperament come  together

In a message dated 8/15/13 11:02:56 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
scenecrest.geo@xxxxxxxxx writes:

I  will  continue to say this as the main reason people
are moving on  from the  GSD is the health and temperament  issues.<<

>>>We have constant calls from  people who want a German shepherd. <<<

How many people  exactly buy a GSD from you though?

We sell every puppy we breed, and find great homes for them  all. We also
sell the great ones, like Grand Champion Icon, or Grand Champion  Ruby.
Granted, we seldom breed over one litter a year, but we are  breeding to find
the next Grand Victor.  In the mean time, we find  some champions, some ROMs,
a couple of AOEs and a few great pet  homes.

>>>Everyone who sees Tedi out walking Kirk in  the morning stops to ask
about him, and some
want  a puppy.   <<<

Again how many of these people buy a puppy, I get people  all the time
telling me
what a beautiful GSD I have when they see if at a  Pet Store, walking with
him or just
sitting in my SUV.  I even have  many people asking if I would consider
breeding him to their female
as  they do not see many GSD's of his quality anymore.  :-)  The fact  is
he has the look
and conformation of GSD's most people remember  years ago and the GSD's the
Canine  Units
use for tracking people as seen on TV. (Of  course that 1/4 German GSD from
a known top
Police Dog at  trials years ago of the lines he resembles.)  They also ask
if I have  any puppies for sale and
I tell them I stopped being a breeder of dogs  years ago.  Of course these
people never owned a GSD
so it does  not tell them of the health-temperament issues facing the
breed.  (I am  talking of the
people I meet that have owned the GSD and moved on to a  different breed
for the heartbreak
of losing their GSD).

A number of those who see Kirk want an Asgard dog. We have a  couple now
who bought a puppy from someone else, and are waiting for one of  the current
litter to be available. We follow all our dogs for the life of the  dog. We
refund any purchase price of a dog that has a problem, health or
temperament, and also replace them. We just refunded the purchase price of a
nine
year old male.   We have a few after over 40 years of breeding  that we have
done that for.  But, more so we hear from families who  are delighted with
their dogs. We just heard from someone with a Ben daughter  that died at 15.
They want another pup.

>>>The breed is popular, strong, and held in  high regard by the general
public. We, the breeders know the  problems we face, and we work hard to
solve
them. <<<

The thing is that not all breeders  work to solve the problem though, as
there are many out that do not.   The GSD breed is not No 2 due
to the good breeders but the fly by night  puppy mills, bad breeders that
do not know what is in their lines or don't  care as long as
they can make a buck. It is not the show breeders or any  of the breeders
that care for the well being of the GSD but the so-called
breeder that just mass produce a litter of pups because they  can.

The breed is popular because it is a great animal.  We  who breed and do so
correctly know that the problems are less, the temperament  is better and
the  quality is the best it has ever been.  It seems  popular to try to run
down this breed. But, it is hard to do.

And, it is us the breeders and exhibitors who show the world  what a German
shepherd should be.  We should be proud of what we have  done.  I know I am.

Evan