[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Long Strided Dogs and Evaluating Puppies

  • From: Jessica MacMillan <spotted101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windwalkergsds@xxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 10:32:30 -0600

When we look at croups and toplines on Dal pups, what we see at 7 weeks is NOT
always what we see at 6 months.

Puppies with poor croups at that age, tend to get worse. Flat croups tend to
lead to more kick behind and dogs who drop off have no kick and tend to stand
under themselves.

HOWEVER, in four square dogs, although flat croups look great in a stack, they
lead to inflexible dogs who have a bit of a terrier topline.

Now, my GSD bitch has been interesting. She started off with a bit of a hump in
her back and I was assured it would go away as she has always stood way out
behind herself comfortably. It did go away and she has a beautiful croup to go
with it and beautiful follow-through.

So my question is..... Based on how Jamie says it, if they have correct croups,
they should have follow through.. Do dogs with correct croups NOT have proper
follow-through?  Would would make the difference? Long stifles, no second
thigh? What would makes the difference more often than not? And do dogs
compensate?

Also, in GSD, what do you get if you have flat croups (not the proper angle)...
 I have probably seen it, but not thought much about it at the time..

Just another question to ponder.

Jess Mac
Paisley Dals (www.paisleydals.com)
& The Shepherds