[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Lex, the now retired GSD...

  • From: GSD0110@xxxxxxx
  • To: pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 16:12:35 EST

Peggy,

I know that there are breeds that can do many of the same things that  GSD's
can do.  But no breed can do as many things as well as the GSD. I  have seen
German Shepherd Dogs that did everything from guarding their masters  property
to treeing squirrels and raccoons for hunters. I have even heard of  them
being used as sled dogs.  Most Avalanche Dogs are GSD's as are a  multitude of
Service Dogs.

When I did Schutzhund.... many people were beginning to  use Malinois.....but
every time I went to a trial... 90% of the dogs  entered were GSD's and
almost without exception the top 4 dogs were GSD's.   And I don't believe I
ever
attended a Schutzhund trial where the #1 dog was  anything but a GSD (I know it
happens OCCASIONALLY I just didn't see it).   I realize that I am talking
about a venue that was designed for  GSD's; but originally, the guide dog was
synonymous with GSD too.  It is  certainly their loss at Guide Dogs.

I am never shocked by what these dogs can be trained to do.  Because  if a
canine can be trained to do it a German Shepherd can learn to do it.   I am
continually amazed, however,  at the things that they do that  they were never
trained to do.

I am touched by the fact that they had to drag Lex away from the body of
Cpl. Lee.  But I am not surprised.  Had Lex not been injured too they  probably
wouldn't have gotten Lex away alive.  These dogs make me so  proud!

Thanks for your pride also,
Gary Lewis