[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Lack of maturity

  • From: "Steve Grainger" <hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Barbara Galasso" <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 10:59:28 -0500

I have a theory on the "maturity" issue..it goes like this..if a young dog
is outstanding in movement..and the other dog is mature..but not the mover
that the young dog is..then the young dog should get the points..as the
mature dog..is just that..mature..he will never have movement..he is what
he is..and will never get any better. If movement is no longer a criteria
at Specialty shows..then we might as well judge cardboard cut outs of each
dog..as standing and maturity are all that seem to be important. A teenage
dog is probably the worst stage in the growth of our breed. I have seen
very substantial 9-12 puppies..hit that teenage stage..and turn into
stringy..leggy..gawky looking youngsters.who come back to what they were at
about 3 years of age.I consider this normal.and it should be judged
accordingly.. I cannot tell you how frustrated I am as of late by comments
I have heard at some futurities. I have heard young dogs and bitches being
raked over the coals for things that we should expect young dogs to
exhibit. In a young dog..I would expect to see..some looseness..maybe
higher on leg..not as deep in body yet. or in a young dog..perhaps not a
strong a head piece..for Pete's sake..this is a "puppy" match ..yet we
expect our puppies to look like adults..would you expect a 18 year old boy
to look like a 35 year old man??? C.Grainger